Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
bender957

Re: X220 CPU throttling problem

KYL3R, try to check in BIOS that "intel speedstep technology" and "Intel turbo boost" is enabled.
also, maybe this is a good idea try to visit near lenovo's service to check machine..  
Punch Card
dtp7

[ Edited ]

KYL3R, is your battery plugged in? Also, make sure you're on max performance in power manager...

Guru
HiVolt

I forgot I had bought Half Life 2 on Steam many years ago, so I installed it for kicks and it runs very well, consistant frame rate with no drops.

BTW for those who may have not seen the thread about a new Intel HD driver from Lenovo, it raises the windows graphic score from 5.9 to 6.3.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Intel-graphics-drivers-performance-improvement...
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

KYL3R wrote:

I have updated, I used 90W adapter, I have "benders intel driver" and my battery was fully charged while testing.

- WEI  Score kept the same. 4.7 on aero graphics, 6.2 on "games". Rest of it also kept the same.

FPS in games - all the same as before.

CPU-Z still shows 765mhz or smth, and GPU does not raise over 100% while playing games.

I turned Lenovo Turbo Boost + on as well, nothing changed.

Lenovo Tool showed that I actually have BIOS 1.21.

Im quite unhappy now :smileysad:

1. Do you have two (2) memory modules?
  2. What is the temperature of your CPU?
Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Fanfold Paper
yorke3

I tested the new BIOS with HWInfo and OCCZ. The result was satisfying. The cpu and gpu clocks remained at their full speed. You guys did a good job.

Fanfold Paper
FreedomGX

Ken wrote:

Freedom, as dtp mentioned, if you are AC only (no battery installed), then you'll still see 800MHz. This is something completely different.

Can I have a clarifcation on this issue, It is any feasible solution for using AC only ,which can let the computer to reach to a normal CPU freq?
It the soultion is using 90W PSU ?

Blue Screen Again
SpiniSpipi

After updating to the 1.21 BIOS I have noticed some weird FPS behavior in OCCT GPU testing, basically it ranges from 12 to 18 then stays at around 12 as the test goes on. I remember with BIOS 1.19 the same test yields a maximum of 25 FPS, stayed around there, but dropped down to around 17 while the throttling took place. Any idea?

X220 i7 8GB Intel SSD
Paper Tape
KYL3R

"

KYL3R, try to check in BIOS that "intel speedstep technology" and "Intel turbo boost" is enabled.
also, maybe this is a good idea try to visit near lenovo's service to check machine.. 

"  -> I found Speedstep in Bios, was already enabled. But where to find Intel Turbo boost in Bios ? searched for 15 min :-D

"KYL3R, is your battery plugged in? Also, make sure you're on max performance in power manager."

-> Yes, plugged in, fully charged, 90W adapter connected. Power manager max power and turboBoost+ activated.

"JNavas:

2. What is the temperature of your CPU?"

I have 1 Memory Modul, 4GB Ram, original, I bought the device with the ram installed. I did not buy further ram modules yes.

2. I will take a look on temperature later.

Serial Port
bender957

KYL3R wrote:

"  -> I found Speedstep in Bios, was already enabled. But where to find Intel Turbo boost in Bios ? searched for 15 min :-D

sorry.. my bad

there is no turbo boost settings in bios..

802.11n
JNavas

KYL3R wrote:
"JNavas:
  2. What is the temperature of your CPU?"

I have 1 Memory Modul, 4GB Ram, original, I bought the device with the ram installed. I did not buy further ram modules yes.

You can get a significant performance boost, particularly in graphics, from two memory modules, ideally matched -- see my post here.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]