Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
phtrungkien

Re: X220 cpu throttling problem

Many thanks to John and Richardw! I try to do.

Fanfold Paper
Hammi

Just to confirm, did the throttling get resolved with the bios update? I am very interested in the i7 x220 but this issue has me wary of dropping the cash. 

Paper Tape
swordeath

Hey, the issue is resolved with new BIOS update, except for one occasion ,and that is when you have 65W adapter plugged in with no battery
What's DOS?
babahsu

Interestingly, x220 (i7 BIOS 1.22) operates at 800Mhz when using the 'original' 65w AC adapter without battery.  But it runs at full speed if I use an earlier model (92p 1107) without battery.  Definitely not going to consider the bulkier 90w adapter.

Token Ring
orion9727

i not that do that.
disable intel driver is a very bad iidea.
most of the issues were with 4,5 series chipsets and ssd slow writes.
that a fix for desktop but horible on a laptop.
sandys dont have those sort of issues.
also on a netbook like cpu you could disable idle for cord and run full speed but i not do that on a sandy they run far to hot.
throttle stop is a program to limit those sort of issues.
there many ways a pc is controlled for one is the sleep states.
the C states controll the pci and hard drive and such and power down the cpu and suspend to ram.
speedstep lower the clock.
while deeper sleep lowers the bus speed.
these all work different but if you just run full out a sandy can really smoke up a notebook.
it a very powerful cpu that dont run cooler then the generation before it.
it just makes use of it power better.
when a cpu throttles depends olot on what going on.
sandy can throttle down extra cores when it sence it a sigle threaded ap that way it can move up the cpu on one core and lower the others.
this is really what makes sandy such a great cpu.
it can sence what to do.
disable cpu drivers is bad.
those notebook forum ideas some were very good and some were really silly most of all on a notebook.
if you overload the system it will FORCE a idle state.
so will not having enough juice in a charger.
that was a issue with many notebooks as well.
the charger would not provide enough curent so the cpu was forced into a idle state.
in a desktop it not a problem,they have mobos with great power caps and power as well as plenty of space to cool everything.
a laptop has very finite resouces in power,cooling,onboard phases so it can quite easy force a demand state if you pass the cpu heat and and the inside temp.
alot of people have sandy bridge heat issues because some one threw the wrong cpu in a tiny laptop because some other company did.
then someone try to disable a power settting and ran a 1080p movie along with anti virus and a dozen aps and they wonder why it went poof.
all pc will throttle thats part of the world we live in.
lower carbon,right.
sandys should have zero issues as there super powerful they wont cause turbo lag like older cpu did.
again i cant state enough doing anything talked about in the 3,4,5 series chipset would be most unwise on a new 32 nm generation.
sandys right now are put in mac book airs and new ultra books and they might be more then that platform can handle but there power settings allow for there fit until ivy bridge hits the streets.
most of the sandys used in small form factors are the fine i7 models with a lower clock.
if anything i would set a sandy to 85% max cpu on battery they really dont need that sort of clock to do what we do.
there more then enough.
the notebook will last longer without that extra heat in it.
the new generation of transistors have zero forgivenes so i would not do anything you seen for a h55 chipset.
802.11n
JNavas

babahsu wrote:

Interestingly, x220 (i7 BIOS 1.22) operates at 800Mhz when using the 'original' 65w AC adapter without battery.  But it runs at full speed if I use an earlier model (92p 1107) without battery.  Definitely not going to consider the bulkier 90w adapter.

WEI on 65W adapter with charged battery installed:

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Community SuperMod
bananaman