Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rab67d

X220 does not detect lid open/close

After a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit SP1, my X220 has stopped going to sleep when I close the lid. As far as I can tell the closure is not detected at all (the screen remains on). Additionally the sleep and battery LEDs on the back of the screen do not seem to turn on under any circumstances. I have tried every option for lid closure in both Lenovo and Windows power manager, none worked. Fn+F4 and the power button both successfully induce sleep.

I have reinstalled Lenovo Power Manager and just updated to BIOS 1.17. Neither seemed to help. My system is currently up to date according to both Lenovo System Update and Wndows Update.

Any help would be appreciated,

Robert

Guru
HiVolt

Re: X220 does not detect lid open/close

What happens if you enter bios, then close the lid?

If it does, it rules out a physical problem with the switch that detects lid closure.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Paper Tape
rab67d

The screen remains on when I close it in BIOS. I assume from your comment that it should switch off.

That presumably means that the switch is damaged. Somewhat odd that the problem would coincide with a OS reinstall though.

Thanks,

Robert

Guru
HiVolt

Yes, it does turn off when the lid is closed in BIOS (I just verfied). Holding it about 0.5" from closing i can see it turn off, then back on when I lift it about that same amount...

Yes, it does seem weird that it would happen with an OS reinstall, as that should have nothing to do with it...

Have you tried to load setup defaults in BIOS? I cant seem to think what else you could try...
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
What's DOS?
mbressman

I'm having the exact same problem - anyone ever solve this issue?  Thanks.

Marc
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

if the screen closure in bios menu doesn't shut the screen off, then there is a mechanical switch sensor problem and need warranty.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Guru
Mornsgrans

From my X61s i know the following trick:

Take a magnet and move it along the lower display border from left to right.The display should turn off, if it is over the reed contact behind the display bezel. (I guess, that there is one)

Had your laptop been repaired in the past?

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

the mechanical switch on the X220 is triggered by a paramagnetic material on the laptop it is on the right hand side of the integrated camera.

http://yfrog.com/nx85sbj:tw1
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft