Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Hemmet

Re: X220 - fan constantly on / revving up and down

I have a problem with fan noise and it's driving me mad. My fan is getting faster for a moment every few seconds in pulses. There's a sound clip here which illustrates the problem accurately although it's from an older model: http://lophiomys.gmxhome.de/TP_R50_18297RG_Periodic_FAN_Noise.mp3

Is this the same problem others are having?

Punch Card
thecrafter

Yes that is the problem I am and a few others are expriencing. I have a feeling it happens on all X220s but others don't pay enough attention to it to notice.

Go to power manager and switch the fan to "dyanmically reduce fan noise". It will really help until a proper fix comes along

Fanfold Paper
Hemmet

I'm using tpfancontrol software to keep the fan at low speed, but the laptop is getting increasingly warmer because of that. Just letting you know that I have a X220i with BIOS 1.06, so the problem has actually appeared before 1.11.

Token Ring
vinuneuro

I get the revving up/down if I use Dynamically Reduce Fan Noise. It turns the fan off, then when it gets to around 45C it turns on, then off again when it cools down, etc. Varies speed between 0, 2000 and 3500rpm almost constantly.

Punch Card
SR45

[ Edited ]

Bios 1.11 for me and absolutely no issues with the fan speed or noise. I have to put my ear up to the fan location to even hear it.

ThinkPad X220 i7 | 8 Gb ram | 320 Gb Hdd 7200 rpm | 6 Cell
What's DOS?
amluto

I'll add a "me too."

I have BIOS 8DET41WW (1.11 ) with the Core i7 and an SSD (aftermarket Intel G2 SSD).  Even at idle, the fan will stay on at a fairly noisy level (3000 RPM or so, IIRC).

I see this on Linux and Windows.

Maliha

Hi wngud and welcome to the forum!

Your post turned out blank because:-

Users of Internet Explorer 9 are experiencing problems creating posts and private messages. The content is lost and appears blank when posted. While this is being investigated and fixed, please use Quick Reply, Internet Explorer 9's Compatibility View, or an alternate browser to post. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

Blue Screen Again
wngud

[ Edited ]

Mod - Thanks.  I was wondering why my post was not appearing.:smileytongue:

I was trying to say that I'm having the same issue with the fan and want to see if there is a way to roll back to the bios to 1.04.

I've been monitoring the temp with Core Temp and for normal web surfing, it never reaches 50 C.   Compared to other thinkpads I have, X220 does reach higher temperature and the fan noise level is a lot higher as well....  Never had any thinkpad that is noiser than X220....

Punch Card
reg1

excuse, where do i find this switch on my X220
greetings
dr weekx
Punch Card
SR45

[ Edited ]

Switch ??

You mean the control to change fan settings ?

Click on Power Manager in system tray if you have it > Click on Advanced in upper right corner just below red close X button > Click the down arrow and select System Settings > Now you should see three settings. Last one is Optimize fan Control.

If you do not have the Power Manager Icon in the system tray than you can click on START > Lenovo ThinkVantage Tool and you should find the Power Manager in there

ThinkPad X220 i7 | 8 Gb ram | 320 Gb Hdd 7200 rpm | 6 Cell