Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
Amphibulus

Re: X220 - fan constantly on / revving up and down

Seriously since I have downgraded my video driver, I don't notice the pulse like before... Maybe others here that have that issue should give it a shot.

ThinkPad X220, I7 2620M, 8GB RAM, Intel 320 160GB SSD, IPS screen, USB 3.0, Bluethoot, Cam, Win 7 pro 64, BIOS: 1.17, Model: 4286-CTO, Fabrication date: 07/11
Magnetic Tape
commander4ever

To what version?

Punch Card
luigig

[ Edited ]

Amphibulus wrote:

Seriously since I have downgraded my video driver, I don't notice the pulse like before... Maybe others here that have that issue should give it a shot.

Push the fan rpm to > 3000 and check if the 5 secs pulsing is there.

I have the latest video driver from Lenovo as you suggested and the pulsing is very noticeable at >= 3000 rpm.

Paper Tape
brio1337

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I've had my new X220 for about a week, and there's a lot to love about it, but the fan whine is an issue for me! I've read this entire thread, and I see that my issues are not unique. I also have the fan "pulsing" every 5 seconds. I doubt I would have even noticed the pulse, except that the pulse also affects the fan pitch, so the pulse/whine combo is doubly annoying.

I tried calling Lenovo customer support, and the guy asked me to visit a service center in my city that services Lenovo. So I can keep going that route.

I was wondering if anyone here has advice on how I can get a replacement fan specifically. Since everyone here is tuned into this issue already, maybe I can bypass the general support issue route, where I will likely end up talking with someone who has never heard of this issue.

If new fans work better, then ideally, I'd rather get one of those and just install it myself!

Lenovo members, thanks for your attention to the issues that have come up here. I can tell you are working to resolve them. If time is needed, I can be patient. I just wanted to deal with it sooner in case warranty expiring might be an issue. The fan noise is not a big deal for a few weeks or even months, but it would be a big deal for the few years I am hoping to use this machine.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

BIOS 1.21 for X220

BIOS Utility here

BIOS text here

BIOS ISO here

BIOS ISO text here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHANGES IN THIS RELEASE
  Version 1.21

[Important updates]
  Nothing.

[New functions or enhancements]
- Improved system performance when heavy program is executed with 65W AC adapter.
- Improved system boots time.
- Disabled keyboarding while the lid was closed to avoid unexpected key input
  when the computer was held with the lid closed.

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where the computer might not be booted from bootloader program.
- Fixed an issue where a 1820 error might occur at power-on when the external
  fingerprint reader device was attached to the computer while the integrated
  fingerprint reader was disabled in the ThinkPad Setup.
- Fixed an issue where the computer might fail to boot when connected the
  Smartphone with the USB port.
- Improved cooling fan noise.
- Corrected spelling mistakes in BIOS setup menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
coupas

Updated BIOS and my Power Manager.. and it looks good so far.

The pitch noise is very faint now.. and I can't hear any pulsing..

Will test some more, but first impressions are very promising.

Paper Tape
Pamphilus

I agree, the pulsing is gone.

Punch Card
brus0li

[ Edited ]

I could notice pulsing only in one extreme case. Looks like there are three fan speed modes: low, medium and high. At medium and high speed the fan didn't produce any kind of pulsing, just a constant non-annoying sound. No high-pitched sound, no whining. Ever. Only at low speed I could notice only pulsing, and only when I put my ear at a distance of only less than 5 cm. Otherwise I couldn't notice it. Not at all. Guess I'm a lucky user.

However, I have decided to just try the new BIOS and see how it works. Guess what? No pulsing so far. =)

Punch Card
Crmb

Thank you.

Yes it seems that the "pulsing" sound is gone ! Thank you for that.

Of course the high pitched sound from the fan is still here

(in my case, just playing a regular not-HD divx make the fan run at a speed at witch you can definitely hear it)

(and not only in a silent environnement)

Hope we can have some info about this one day.

Punch Card
Crmb

[ Edited ]

@brus0li

I see what you mean.

I think maybe at "medium" and "high speed" the high pitched sound is still here but mostly covered by the regular fan noise.