Support in other languages: 
Token Ring
len0v0

Re: X220 - fan constantly on / revving up and down

[ Edited ]

My x220 is brand new (although maybe the model is old, 4291-5DG, i5, 320HDD 5400 rpm). I bought it a month ago.

It came with bios 1.26 and I updated it to 1.29, but the fan still whines at 2200... 2500... 3150... 3600... rpm although the temps are only 45C.

Are there any other updates I should install besides the bios upgrade?

I'm afraid if I try to explain myself to the lenovo service people they would blow me off and tell me there's no problem and that's the way the laptop should work. 

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

len0v0 wrote:

My x220 is brand new (although maybe the model is old, 4291-53G, i5, 320HDD 5400 rpm). I bought it a month ago.

It came with bios 1.26 and I updated it to 1.29, but the fan still whines at 2200... 2500... 3150... 3600... rpm although the temps are only 45C.

Are there any other updates I should install besides the bios upgrade?

I'm afraid if I try to explain myself to the lenovo service people they would blow me off and tell me there's no problem and that's the way the laptop should work. 

It's best to apply all updates, but definitely Power Manager 6.07

If you need help with warranty repair, send a PM to Mark with Lenovo.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,325
Solutions: 285

len0v0,

Janvas offers good advice - ensure lattest BIOS and Power manager is applied.  There is nothing that we can do to change the acoustic signature of the fan - it does create and audible whine as it moves through some RPM ranges and perhaps it is more noticable in some areas.

If the fan is not contstantly running at high speed, and not wildly cycling high and low, then the operation is probably normal.  If your system is exceptionally loud, you can contact service and see if replacing the fan improves the situation.

Not sure what else to suggest. 

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

ppv
Paper Tape
ppv

It is one year now since I bought the x220 so I thought hey lets check back the thread about that whining to see if its satisfactorily resolved now, but there still seems to be no official result like a recall for changing the fan or something.

This is not acceptable! That fan issue isn't just a small bug, it is a real problem and you are not taking it serious enough.

I know this post isn't helping anyone but I just wanted to tell you how disappointed I am. There were so many people helping with the analys of the problem but you just told everyone you are working on it and in the end after one year(!!) of "hard work" on it there is no result. Sorry, but I won't buy any of your notebook products any time soon again..

802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

ppv wrote:

It is one year now since I bought the x220 so I thought hey lets check back the thread about that whining to see if its satisfactorily resolved now, but there still seems to be no official result like a recall for changing the fan or something.

This is not acceptable! That fan issue isn't just a small bug, it is a real problem and you are not taking it serious enough.

I know this post isn't helping anyone but I just wanted to tell you how disappointed I am. There were so many people helping with the analys of the problem but you just told everyone you are working on it and in the end after one year(!!) of "hard work" on it there is no result. Sorry, but I won't buy any of your notebook products any time soon again..

With respect, I don't think that rant is accurate, fair, or realistic:

1. Lenovo representatives have been active here on the issue.

2. Lenovo released a number of updates to the BIOS and to the Power Manager to address the issue.

3. Normal X220 fan noise is pretty low now, especially as compared to comparable machines (e.g., the premium-priced Sony VAIO Z*).

4. If your X220 has unusually bad fan noise, then you should be able to get it addressed under warranty, especially with the help of Lenovo representatives here.

5. If you felt the fan noise was unacceptable when you received your X220, then you could have chosen to return it for refund.

Under the circumstances, Lenovo seems to have actually done pretty well, our ThinkPad expectations notwithstanding.
After all, There Is No Magic.©
I was quite satisfied with the quietness of the X220.

* From reviews of the Sony VAIO Z:

"Unfortunately, the VAIO Z's fan got pretty loud at times, especially when under a heavy workload. While installing a demo of the Homefront game with the Power Media Dock connected, the laptop sounded it like it was getting ready for takeoff." [Laptop Magazine]

"Throughout our testing, though, the fans spun so noisily that someone sitting nearby in our office stopped what he was doing to express concern. They became particularly insistent while we played Call of Duty 4 (and this was even after we lowered the resolution from 1080p to 1024 x 768)..." [Engadget]

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Fanfold Paper
yapook

hey,

I had a similar problem on my x220 - loud high pitch whining noise coming from top left corner. I was totally convinced its some sort of electrical problem but actually it was caused by the piece of black sticky tape they used to fix a cable going to screen. It was slightly touching the fan. I would recommend checking for that before updating bios etc - you only need to remove the keyboard (2 screws). Hope this helps someone.

Punch Card
zxmar05

I have now replaced the fan on my X220 with a X230 fan.

The difference is like night and day. This is how it should have been from the start. I still can not believe how much better it got. This machine is SILENT now even under load!

Shame on Lenovo for not acknowleding this problem and taking all of us for fools!

If you also want to replace your fan, make sure you get an AVC fan. I had to buy two fans, because the first seller sold me a different kind of fan, even if an AVC fan was pictured in the item description.

Here is there I bought the new fan in the end:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-MODEL-BATA0507R5U-P-N-23-10678-001-FRU-04W6923-COOLING-FAN-FOR-LE...

I don't know if replacing the fan will void your warranty, and frankly, I don't care. This move has solved a major issue I had with this machine.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
leocarrio

Hello,

I have the same problem but with a x300. I replaced the fan for a new one, bought in ibm website, without any improvement. What is an avc fan? Do you think it could fix my problem ? Thank you.

Punch Card
Crmb

[ Edited ]

For people still with their noisy x220...

i bought the x230 AVC fan from aliexpress (thank you for the info zxmar05 !) and replaced it in my x220

The high pitched noise (got my x220 july 2011) is now gone ! It's how it should have been from the begining...

Like many people here, i had two problem with the fan :

- the "bleep" pulsing sound, resolved by bios updates around oct 2011 if i remember correctly

- the whining fan (even at low speed) never really acknowledged by lenovo. "Its normal, due to form factor, the sony is more noisy".. Sorry but something was definitively wrong with the stock fan for many people

Yes the x220 "wooosh" sound from the fan was definitively quiet. However add to that a little high pitched noise, and it become annoying in a calm environement.

The stock delta i got (as many other people here) must had conception or manufacturing issues.

@leocarrio

"AVC" is a brand (like "Delta", the one originaly in the X220).

If you look at Lenovo parts infos :

x220 : 04W0435 (Delta, with a big batch of noisy one)

x230 : 04W6921 (Delta) / 04W6922 (Toshiba) / 04W6923 (AVC, easy to find via chinese sellers)

(The x230 and x220 fans have the same spec so using the x230 AVC on x220 is ok !)

However for your x300 i find only one ref. : 42X5067 (delta ?)

I will be tricky to get another one and be sure it will be more silent if there is only one brand :smileysad:

Fanfold Paper
Silvershot

Hi. I have an x201T and have the exact same problem.

Can I use the afforementioned fan on my x201T ? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-MODEL-BATA0507R5U-P-N-23-10678-001-FRU-04W6923-COOLING-FAN-FOR-LE...