Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
atomicminded

Re: X220 - fan constantly on / revving up and down

The turboboost+  is disabled.  I think I've spent several hours playing around with the power manager.

Punch Card
reg1

x220, corei5 bios 1.06

not working properley : fan and broadband connection

so i tried updating bios manually to 1.11 and boom, i have a broadband conncetion and the fan seems less audible, but still some noise,

so peope, try updating bios and also perhaps installing tpfancontrol

Punch Card
atomicminded

Many of us with the fan issue already have bios 1.11.

TPfancontrol seems to fix the problem... I wish Lenovo would give us an offical solution to the problem, though.

Punch Card
reg1

oké, how to use tpfancontrol, one has to disable power management ?

thanks in advance

x220, Ci5, bios 1.11

Punch Card
thecrafter

[ Edited ]

No, you don't need to disable the Power Manager but I advise not to download tpfancontrol, because all it does is tell the fan not to work until the CPU gets relatively hot. The default fan profile is designed for T61, an older laptop that had higher temperature thresholds.

Basically for X220 it's a bandaid that tells the computer to not turn the fan on until temperaute reaches X degrees, but X by default happens to be a little on the warm side for the CPUs in X220. You could achieve the same thing by simply taking the fan out of the computer :smileytongue: (ok, ok, not exactly. Don't do that!) but that's not a very good solution

It can still be effective if you want to modify the profile and set custom triggers depending on the temperature, but I'll leave the instructions to that for someone else, if they want.

But regardless, we should not need to use a third party utility to solve Lenovo's mistake

Punch Card
reg1

thanks

, is lenovo aware of the fan problem ?

and so not, how can they be reached so that they now many x220 units (and owners) suffer form the problem ?

x220 Ci5, no fan of the fan-problem

Punch Card
thecrafter

Yes, they're aware and said engineers are trying to fix it
Punch Card
atomicminded

While the TPfancontrol may have a poor profile, I'll note that the sandy bridge chips can run at a much hotter temp than the older chips.  I was watching tpfancontrol to monitor my cpu temps... never went beyond 50c, which is like nothing for these sandy bridge chips.

I only use the TPfancontrol when im on battery, using the lowest cpu setting. When i get back to my desk, where i care less about noise, i disable it.

IF you don't understand what tpfancontrol does, or what it could do to your cpu (the max temp for htese chips I believe are 100c), then i also don't recommend that you use it.

Punch Card
reg1

oké, but is there a 'how to use' somewhere ?

Token Ring
Pflunz

yes, just open tpfancontrol_ini.exe