Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
path

Re: X220 - no post and green light around power button flashes every 3 - 4 second

To add a couple more to the pile, we recently purchased over 30 of the X220 Model 4287-2WU machines with R9-HW serial numbers. These machines were all purchased between December 2011 and mid February 2012. Of those 30 machines, I have issued out about half to my user base. So far I have had two of these machines exhibit the same failure of no post and green light. I am reluctant to issue the remaining stock as it appears the X220 series has an abnormally high failure rate.

Lenovo has been uncommonly slow in fixing these machines. Further distressing is that they have been very slow to update my user or myself in regards to the status of the repairs. It appears that either Lenovo is overwhelmed and unprepared for the volume of repairs needed on these models or they are working to manipulate the flow of repairs to avoid looking like there is a more serious widespread problem with the X220 architecture. 

Either way, having been a strong IBM and Lenovo advocate for years, I am very distressed by their current inability to adequately fix the problem or communicate with their customers.

Pat H
Token Ring
kent1968

Re: X220 - no post and green light around power button flashes every 3 - 4 second

BEWARE for those you getting new MBs.  The tech just showed up to replace the MB on my X220 June 2011 purchased system with a used MB that appeared to date from March 2011. 

After 1.5 hours on the phone with support, they agreed to send a new one since my machine started having problems when it was only 6 months old and because, I guess, they agreed with me that I should not get a MB older than my machine build date.  Two reps told me I should get a new MB, and two said under warranty I could get a "certified used" MB.

Any experience out there for those of you who have had to have MBs replaced? 

I have not had time to research the warranty terms, and generally would not mind a used part - but not on a system that started having problems at 5-6 months old.  Not sure what customer would want a year old part on a 6 month old system.  If the system was 24 months old and they sent me a used MB - it is a totally different scenario.

Punch Card
aaronho

That's a reasonable request kent.  I never thought to check.  How did you verify the manufactured date on the motherboard and how did you know it was used?  Let me know, thanks. 

Token Ring
kent1968

[ Edited ]

The way I noticed it was after the MB was taken out of the box, but still in the anti-static wrap, I started looking on the MB for any dates or FRU numbers.  Essentially, though I thought it was new (unused) I wanted to see when it was built - especially if it was built in the timeframe of those in this thread who are reporting repeated problems with probably the same manufacturing run of MBs.

I then noticed a sticker on the MB that said something like "serviceable used product" and then I looked at the fan build date, it was March 2011 some other components were relatively old as well. 

Later, the technician showed me on the shipping box that he pulled the MB out of a sticker that clearly said "used part."

So it is obvious if you look for it. 

Had this been a USB plug replacement or something else I would not mind, but when I saw how many essential components were on a laptop MB (I always owned desktops) I wanted a new one for my new machine.  If I had wanted a used machine, I would have waited for about 6 months and then bought an X220. 

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

Kent1968,

I appreciate your view on this.  As I understand  the requirement for a new part , it is to support systems that are still considered "new" within 30 days of purchase.  Technically, either a new or certified used part could be used to repair your system purchased in June.  That said, I understand your concern in receiving a service part that may have initially manufactured before your systems.   I would be interested in the model type and serial # of your system - could you send me a PM?

I'm including a statement below that helps explain some of the broader failures being discussed on this thread.  If your system was built in June, it is more likely that a different component on your system board failed rather than the EEPROM chip.

Current service stock would not be affected - either built outside this range or using a different component source. 

"Lenovo has identified an issue which affects a portion of Think and Idea systems that were manufactured between September and December 2011. The issue manifests as early life failures of the EEPROM chip and results in the system failing to power on or boot up. Not all of the systems manufactured during this period of time are affected.  This is an industry component issue and is not limited to Lenovo.

The solution is to replace the system board, Lenovo has been working through an unanticipated increase in demand for system boards and some repair times have been longer than desired. Lenovo's parts logistics teams have worked closely with suppliers to accelerate availability of replacement boards and service part stocks have been updated with the latest level parts.

Service times are beginning to recover. Where possible, Lenovo is proactively escalating aged customer repairs to ensure resolution as quickly as possible.  We apologize for any inconvenience these delays may have caused."

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
path

Mark, can you point me to the document that you quote regarding the MB failures. Thank you.

Pat H
Fanfold Paper
syrious

Yes I am NOT impressed by the quality of these laptops, I have 10 of the x220s purchased in late December, and now I just had a 2nd laptop fail today. Now I get to wait for 2-3 weeks for a used replacement motherboard? Lenovo should be sending out NEW laptops with an RMA box.

Rin
Paper Tape
Rin

Sadly, I've found a similar problem with my laptop X220 4290-LU7 S/N R9KE***

What's DOS?
rtessier

Same here with the 4286-CTO that I bought back in December. Motherboards must still be backordered, the latest ETA puts me at 8 working days of downtime which is not what I was hoping for considering this is a business-class laptop.
Paper Tape
wilkens

Hi, Just bought my Lenovo x220 in March 2012, in the UK, before going for a 3 months period of a project abroad.

I'm now working in Africa and this week the PC went dead. Same symptoms described in the other posts.

No power out of a sudden. It was working perfectly the entire time.

Tried all the option of removing the battery, A/C, tested with different battery, different A/C and nothing. Also pressed the power buttom and hold for many times and nothing....

Mine is a 4291 type

S/N R9 KEXXX

What can I do??????? I'm in a project in Senegal/Dakar and will be back in the UK only by the end of June.

Any chance I can have my Lenovo repaired here?

Any idea?? Mark???

Thanks!