Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
SteveCr48

X220 (sales Q): trackpad, display, general advice

Before I pull the triger on an X220, I'm looking for advice from current users. 

Trackpad. Does the trackpad support gestures (tap to click; two finger click) and two-finger scrolling. Some users are complaining about two-finger scrolling: Does it work nice and smooth? 

Display. What's the $50 add for the Premium HD display? 

SSD. Is the factory SSD fast (like a high-quality Intel), or slow like some lesser expensive ones? Or, does the speed difference matter in actual use?

Other, If anyone has other advice, I'd be very appreciative. A friend suggested that I look at the new Lenovo Ultrabook U300s; is this worth a look? I'm grateful for the comments of anyone with actual experience!! 

Thanks!

-steve. 

T400, X220
Punch Card
alex65

Re: X220 (sales Q): trackpad, display, general advice

[ Edited ]

The trackpad does support everything you've named. But I find two fingers gestures to work erratically most of the times. If your fingers are not perfectly spaced, it does not detect it. Zooming works better when I use a finger of each hand. It's not a bad touchpad, but it's nowhere near Apple's touchpad as far as gestures are concerned.

The 50$ upgrade is to have an IPS panel. The IPS panel is much easier to read, has vivid colors and excellent viewing angles but suffers from poor refresh rates that might or might not bother you, depending on what's your usage. On these forums it's regarded as a must-have upgrade.

The SSD shipped with the x220 are all Intel as far as I know. They are the cheap intel ones however. Unless you want the SSD to be covered by onsite warranty, there is no reason to buy the SSD from Lenovo. It will be less expensive elsewhere, and you'll know for sure what you are getting.

Punch Card
Novak921

Hey,

I love my X220.  I can't comment too much about the trackpad because I don't use it.  I have it disabled and only use the trackpoint because well, it gets addicting to use haha.

As far as the IPS, I think it's a must have upgrade because of the quality and color of the screen.  I havne't noticed any issue with the refresh rate but the only issue I can think of is that since you can see it from every angle, everyone will be able to read your screen so it's less on privacy but greatly improved viewing angle and color.

Personally, unless you want a factory image of the X220, I would purchase an SSD after the fact and save some money.  There are a lot more available options and with black friday coming up, I'm sure you'll find some deals on SSD's.

Hope that helps and I love my X220, you wont regret it.

~Novak

X220~i5 2520M~8GB~Vertex2~IPS~Win7Prox64~ It's amazing.
Serial Port
SteveCr48

Hey @alex65 and @Novak921, thanks for sharing your experiences with an X220. 

Two things seem clear: (1) you really like your X220s, and (2) the trackpoint gives better results than the trackpad. Everyone seems to agree that trackpad gestures don't work well. Having not used a trackpoint, it's the one thing that is slowing me down from pulling the trigger on a new X220.

Is it difficult to learn to use a trackpoint if you're accustomed to gestures? 

T400, X220
Guru
HiVolt

I love my X220.

I have the IPS display, I didn't even consider the cheaper alternative. I have a SSD, but it's an aftermarket one the prices for Lenovo's SSD options are too expensive IMO. Love it with a SSD, boots up in like 20 seconds to the desktop.

As for the touchpad, I don't use it at all, I love the trackpoint, IMO that's one of the strongest features of the Thinkpad line. The touchpad has been disabled since day one, but if I had to comment it's a poor design trying to copy Apple with the button-less design. Good thing the trackpoint has a physical left/right buttons as well as the scroll button which works great.

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Punch Card
Novak921

SteveCr48 wrote:

Is it difficult to learn to use a trackpoint if you're accustomed to gestures? 

Not at all.  I used to work with Lenovo's at my old job so I would occasionally use the trackpoint and found it to be completely weird.  Worked with them more and more and got used to it and then I purchased my X220. Now when I go to use someone elses laptop, my finger instintively goes for a trackpoint until I realize they don't have one and get very sad haha.  Put it this way, once you learn to ride the bike, you wont forget or go back to training wheels lol.  I love using the trackpoint.

~Novak

X220~i5 2520M~8GB~Vertex2~IPS~Win7Prox64~ It's amazing.
Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks, Novak. Your humor is a breath of fresh air. Cheers!
T400, X220
nibs
Topics: 43
Kudos: 143
Solutions: 39

The trackpoint is amazing. I have my touchpad turned off since I purchased my machine. A major part of the draw of a ThinkPad to me is the trackpoint. If I had to have a machine without trackpoint, I'd carry an external mouse. I wish IPS display was offered in T series! I almost bought the X series just for the IPS display, but I needed higher resolution. Pay the $50 for IPS, and you'll be happy. 

Buy your SSD aftermarket because you'll pay less. Good choices are the Samsung 830 & the Intel 320 (make sure to get 7mm size; the normal one has a spacer but removal of the spacer might void the warranty). If you need more storage you can also get the Intel 310 mSATA SSD (if you don't use WWAN) to boot from and install important programs to and keep the HDD around for general storage.

------------------------------------------
When asking for help, post your question in the forum. Remember to include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help others with the same question in the future.

My TPs: Twist 2HU: i5-3317U Win 8 Pro, 4GB RAM 250GB Samsung 840 | T420 4177CTO: i5-2520M, HD+, Win 7 Pro x64, 8GB RAM, Optimus, 160GB Intel 320 SSD, Intel 6300 WiFi, BT 3.0 | T400 2764CTO: P8700, WXGA, Win 7 Ult x64, AMD 3470, 8GB RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD, BT, Intel 5300 WiFi | A20m 14.1" PIII 500 (retired). Monitors: 2x Dell U2211h IPS 100% sRGB calibrated w/ Spyder3.
Serial Port
SteveCr48

Thanks for the great advice, nibs!
T400, X220
What's DOS?
TotalityNZ

Trackpad - Horrible in a word!  I use the touchpoint which works much better but I get a lot of creep with it.  ie when I stop moving the mouse cursor will keep moving along slowly on its own for a few seconds.  Annoying if you dont notice the mouse pointer has moved!  My HP laptop with a touchpoint doesnt exhibit this.

Display - A let down if I'm honest.  I have the IPS panel which works great if you are doing office work, but if you are back at the hotel and want to watch a film the refresh rate is bad so you get quite a lot of ghosting.  I can put up with this, but then you notice the backlight bleed even in a lit room.  If the film has bars at the top and bottom you can see the light bleeding through in the bottom left.  Pinching the corners of the plastic seems to make it go away.  I dont watch movies in the dark because the backlight bleed is even more noticeable!  The lid is very thin so when you move the lid back and forward the light streams up the screen then goes away again as you move it back.  The build quality of the lid is a real shocker.  My T61 has a great solid lid.

General advice - Having owned many, many laptops in the past, I am dissapointed with this one overall and would have sent it back if Lenovo would have let me (they dont where I live).  I have three laptops at the moment and the best one if the HP Elitebook.  Built like a rock and no backlight bleed at all.  The batter on the X220 is better though.  I also tried a Macbook air before this one as I was looking for a portable computer to compliment the HP and I wish I had stuck with the mac.

If it wasnt for the bad display issues and the horrible trackpad and creeping touch point, the X220 would be OK.