Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
GobiGuy
Accepted Solution

X220 sleep becomes hibernate

Often when I put my X220 to sleep...a fe wminutes later, I can wake it up and it resumed from "sleep".  But then sometimes when I put it to sleep...maybe 10 minutes alter when I go to wake it up, I notice the sleep light isn't "pulsing" and it's OFF.  When I press the power button, it does a Hibernation resume...not a sleep wake-up.

So sometimes it goes into hibernate mode when I want it to sleep. 

Any ideas?   (incidentally, whenever I put it to sleep, I always press Fn-F4).

Thanks in advance!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
GobiGuy

Re: X220 sleep becomes hibernate

I think I might have found the setting that controls this, but need confirmation. I think it's called "CPU Deep Sleep". it was disabled on the "On AC Power" profile, but for the "On Battery Power" profile, it was enabled. So I disabled it.

I think that CPU deep sleep is essentially "hibernation". In that mode, there's no sleep icon list on the lid, no pulsing power light, etc. It's in full hibernate mode and takes longer to wake up than normal 'sleep' mode.

Can anyone confirm?
Token Ring
ccl13

No it is not the reason. The true reason is you have in your power profiles both sleep timeout and hibernate timeout is set. For example if you have you 10min before sleep and 15min before hibernate, then if you put your system to sleep, and after 5min it will automatically go to hibernate.

CPU deep sleep is a feature of your CPU, which allows the CPU to go into a deeper (than usual idle sleep) sleep. Which may require more time to "wake it up", and saves more power. Although in fact the feature will not save more than 1 extra watt of power and will not cause any delay you can recognize, so personally I suggest to turn it on. It is totally not related with sleep mode.
---------------------------------------------------------
[2011]X220-4286-CTO(Brand new, hope nothing bad will happen to it...)[2008]X61-7673-CV2(Slipped upon it, but also working)[2002]X31-2672-BCH(Broke screen, but still working!)
Ctrl-Alt-Del
GobiGuy

I'm not seeing this... where is it? I went into the Power Manager app and look at my "Power Souce Optimized" profile (which is the profile I use when on battery power). The "Enter system standy" was set to 30 minutes and the "Enter system hibernation" was set to 45 minutes.

The issue was that I manually preffes Fn-F4 to invoke system sleep...and it did...but barely 10 minutes later when I opened the system to wake it up, it was not in sleep mode..it was in full hibernation.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
GobiGuy

I found it... and yes, you are right. This was the cause. Thanks for the help!