Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
shazza
Accepted Solution

X220 stopped charging

I've had my i7 X220 for about 4 months now - using it every day, loving it.  Today I had quite a scare ... All of a sudden I got the low battery warning ... yikes, it was plugged in!  Checked all my connections, tried a different outlet, removed and reinserted the battery.  Still no charge. 

I had everything backed up, but what a pain - I especially need this laptop for next week's travels and photo-editing. 

Waited an hour - tried again - voila!  It's charging again. 

My question - is there something in the Power Manager that disables battery charger if the computer gets too warm?  I didn't experience any problems, but I was running a lot of programs simultaneously, and I noticed both the charger and laptop were warmer than usual. 

I promptly ordered a spare battery and a spare AC adapter, but just curious if there might be something else going on.  It has passed all the diagnostics and has been working okay for the last 4 hours. 

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,277

Re: X220 stopped charging

if the battery was overheating then it may occur.

Are you using the 65 watt adapter? if that is the case, then please update your BIOS firmware to the latest version.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Punch Card
shazza

Thank you. I have successfully installed the updated BIOS, so will see how things go.  I appreciate the quick response.

lead_org

no problem, if you any more problem just come back and we can look into it together.
Regards,

Jin Li

Punch Card
shazza

Revisiting this question.  I continue to have charging issues off and on.  Finally reached the point where my 65W chargers (have two of them) are very random about when they will actually charge. 

Now using a 3rd party universal charger that seems to be working much better. 

Am I the only one who is having major charging issues?  I've searched these boards, and found a few issues, but not too many.

lead_org

[ Edited ]

if you still have warranty, then it maybe a good idea to use it. 

Regards,

Jin Li

Fanfold Paper
Cryson

I would use the warrenty, seems like a defect either on the board or the battery chip. My X220 has had no issues like this at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thinkpad® X220 | Intel® Core™ i7-2620M | 8GB Kingston DDR3-1333mhz | 256GB Crucial 7mm SSD m4 Series