Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Guru
HiVolt

Re: X220 very slow reconnecting to WiFi when resuming from sleep

Still happening here too... I've just learned to live with it. My plan is to reinstall Win7 one day from scratch (not from restore feature) and I bet it'll help...

Once in a while It will reconnect as it should when resuming from sleep. Still don't know what is causing this. I even got Intel's latest driver just released and it didnt help either. I'm assuming it's something in windows thats the problem.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Paper Tape
drawdestudio

I have the same problem with my x201i too lately, any solution?

Guru
HiVolt

Just thought I'd post an update... I installed a new SSD, and reinstalled Win7 from scratch from my own copy, not Lenovo's restore.

Updated all the drivers/patches thru TVSU and the problem is gone, it reconnects to WiFi in about 5 seconds after waking up from sleep.

So this is clearly not a hardware glitch, but a software one.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
SCSI Port
sveintore

Try removing the adapter in device manager and let windows find it again. That might reset all settings to default. 

I had the same problem when running Server 2008 R2 on mine, but it's fine again now on a fresh Win7. 

Guru
HiVolt

sveintore wrote:

Try removing the adapter in device manager and let windows find it again. That might reset all settings to default. 

I had the same problem when running Server 2008 R2 on mine, but it's fine again now on a fresh Win7. 

I tried all sorts of things, including that, when I struggled with this for months... Reinstall fixed it. I only wish I knew what caused it.

---------------------
Paper Tape
antjones

I also have a similar problem (Intel 6300 adapter). This is with a fresh Windows 7 Home Premium install (with the Intel wireless drivers downloaded from the Lenovo x220 driver page).

When resuming from sleep, it typically takes over 20 seconds to reconnect. Disabling the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for the wireless adapter reduces this to less than 5 seconds, which is much more reasonable. Turning the device off/on using the wireless switch reconnects almost immediately irrespective of the power saving settings.

Both running Network Monitor and looking at the event log suggest that the follwoing is happening: on resume the wireless adapter pretty much immediately obtains a DHCP lease, but then gets put back to sleep immediately after the network is configured. It then wakes again 10 - 15 seconds later, and has to re-request the same DHCP lease.

This fact that the device seems to be put back to sleep a few seconds *after* resuming from sleep seems like a pretty clear bug to me.

Punch Card
d3j452

"Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is already unchecked on my X220, and still takes an excessive amount of time to reconnect.

Even clicking on the Wireless Icon and manually initiating connect takes longer than an initial power-on sequence!

DaveG

X220/i5-2540M/3.3GHz/8GB/320GB/7200/Webcam /IPS/7Pro
Fanfold Paper
papachumba

Funny to see same problems spanning across similar models...

I have a x301 with exactly the same issue. Waking from sleep, and the wireless icon will show my network in the list, but not connect to it. I kinda got used to playing track & field with the refresh button as this seems to make it connect sooner. I just keep hitting it like crazy until i see the network go "connecting..." and finally "connected". This can cut connection time anywhere from 5-3 mins to 1 min perhaps. This was on a clean win7 64bit install with lenovo drivers, but no access connections.

Sometimes, after waking from sleep the mouse would be unresponsive for anything up to 5 minutes (whilst laptop had clearly woken and stopped any heavy processing in the meantime).

I found pressing fn+f3 to bring the power manager selection menu kicked the mouse back into action usually. Weird but it worked.

Now I have an X1 and thankfully, after waking from sleep it connects as it should, under 10 secs.

Guru
HiVolt

papachumba wrote:

Funny to see same problems spanning across similar models...

Now I have an X1 and thankfully, after waking from sleep it connects as it should, under 10 secs.

Which makes me think that it's a glitch with a common piece of software across various Thinkpads, such as Power Manager, UltraNAV, or the Intel WiFi driver which obviously spans many adapters...

---------------------
Punch Card
d3j452

Beside myself, has anyone noticed a significant lack of interest in this problem by Lenovo?

Or I could just be paranoid <g>

DaveG

X220/i5-2540M/3.3GHz/8GB/320GB/7200/Webcam /IPS/7Pro