Support in other languages: 
Guru
HiVolt
Accepted Solution

X220 very slow reconnecting to WiFi when resuming from sleep

So my X220 with the Intel 6205 card is having issues reconnecting to WiFi when resuming from sleep or hibernation. It takes about a minute for it to do so, though occasionally it will reconnect right away. Maybe 1 out of 20. When doing a cold boot or restart, it connects immediately upon the desktop showing up.

This was not always the case, in fact when I first got my X220 in June, I have not had this issue.... In fact, I don't know when it started happening, but it was maybe a couple months ago. I just thought it was my old router going bad. Well I got a new router, and it still happens. I have the latest Intel WiFi drivers from Lenovo, and I even tried downgrading to the previous driver from Intel's site. Still the same problem. I tried setting a default profile in access connections, and that does not help. In fact, it behaves the same way if I totally uninstall access connections as well. In fact I tried this on three different brand routers, and I can reproduce it on all of them (Asus, Netgear & TP-Link) so I think this is not a router issue. Other devices in the house reconnect right away with no issues (iPhone 4, PS3, Mac desktop, Dell laptop).

I currently have BIOS 1.24, but this was happening with 1.21 and 1.23 as well. My X220 originally came with 1.16, and I haven't updated it until 1.21. Unfortunately I don't remember that far back, if the problem started occuring then.

There was a brief discussion about this in another thread, but it went nowhere so perhaps this will get more attention. At least one other user reported the same issue.

Here's a clip of exactly what happens. When i press the button or open the lid from sleep, the windows wifi icon will start spinning for a few seconds, then turn into an X. then only about a minute later, does it quickly connect to the wifi and I have full signal. Manually clicking on the icon and selecting the access point does not speed up the process. It will only connect when it wants to, about a minute after resuming from sleep/hibernation.

http://youtu.be/dmboeA7HBgg

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Guru
HiVolt

Re: X220 very slow reconnecting to WiFi when resuming from sleep

Bump... Nobody?

I dont want to have to send it in, remove my SSD and aftermarket ram...
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB Main SSD | Mushkin 120GB mSATA SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Paper Tape
labirichina

Hi, I have exactly the same story with my X301. For a while the solution was turning off "allow computer save energy when not used", but after a while its the same as before and this does not help anymore.

I would be very thanksful for solution as well!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Do you have Access Connections installed?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Guru
HiVolt

I do. But it behaves exactly the same with or without it installed.

And like I said in my original post, I didn't have this issue when I first got it... It sort of appeared a couple months ago but I can't pinpoint what caused it, since I sort of ignored at first because I thought my router was crapping out.
---------------------
Punch Card
turnstyle

I've noticed that I have my wi-fi established *before* the tray icon returns to showing bars -- have your opened a browser to see if you're online, or are you waiting until you see bars in the icon?
Guru
HiVolt

[ Edited ]

turnstyle wrote:
I've noticed that I have my wi-fi established *before* the tray icon returns to showing bars -- have your opened a browser to see if you're online, or are you waiting until you see bars in the icon?

Yes, I have no connectivity unless the windows tray icon shows signal.

This only happens when initially resuming from sleep/hibernation. Once the connection is up, if I turn off wireless with the switch or disconnect thru the FN+F5, and then turn it back on it comes up instantly.

---------------------
802.11n
Ideasmiths

[ Edited ]

Normally when a laptop running windows tries to connect to a network, it may also seek to identify certain components on the network, for example, asking the router "Who are you?". In your case, maybe the config are corrupted because the network address entries are messed up. Queries send out to the network come back with no replies, and the computer waited for the default time till timeout and it gives up.

Try this one at a time, reboot, or try all at once and reboot

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

Guru
HiVolt

I tried those commands, first individually rebooting then all at once, unfortunately without success... still have the ~ minute delay upon resuming from sleep.
---------------------
Punch Card
d3j452

Can this be "bumped"?

I have been having the same problem since day 1.

I tried all suggestion in this thread without resolving the issue..

Lenovo??

DaveG

X220/i5-2540M/3.3GHz/8GB/320GB/7200/Webcam /IPS/7Pro