Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
yavora

X220 weak plastic/bezel bends at top-left corner of screen

This is a brand new laptop which I got less than a week ago. On the third day after receiving it I noticed that the plastic on the top left of the screen is not properly glued/attached to the back of the screen and easily bends. The top-right corner of the screen does not have this problem. 

I submitted a request via 1-800-IBM-SERV on 8/14 (Sunday), got a call from Atlanta, GA that it won't be till Tuesday (8/16) when I get on-site technician due to part backlog. Then, each day, the status of the request will get bumped "holding for parts" with ETA the following day. Today is 8/18, the ETA is 8/19 and I am not really going to wait any longer. At best, the part will arrive on Friday evening (8/19) and the technician can come and work on my laptop on 8/22. The laptop was shipped 13 days ago, and the 21-day clock for returns is ticking.

I paid extra to get 3 year next-day on site service, which I am not getting. It's not even clear the part we are waiting for is the right part, as nobody has really come to see and diagnose the laptop. Unless it is a very common problem, and they know what part to replace, in which case it seems they should just fix them before they ship them. (OK, I am getting a little far, as I know no laptop is free of flaws, but this is a clear, mechanical defect right out of the box. They can easily detect it - it doesn't require running any tests.)

I called Lenovo to request a RMA. They asked me for my warranty support case, which I gave them "IBM Problem #". They claimed the case # was not valid and said I have not talked to the correct department for requesting the repair. This is not true. Lenovo's website give this phone # 1-800-426-7378 for support. This is the same number given on the IBM service call ticket. 

At this point, I've given up on fixing the laptop - Lenovo's recomended service (800-426-7378) had the opporutnity to do so for the last 4 days. I am going to send it back. I understand manufacturing defects can happen, and fixing them is an option, but I have a 21 day time limit for returns and honestly I don't believe the estimate for the repair as it keeps moving day by day.

If Lenovo is going to claim a 15% restocking fee on a defective item out of the box, it will definitely turn me away from ever buying from them. I don't think it is fair. I really hope someone from Lenovo is reading this.

Thanks!

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: X220 weak plastic/bezel bends at top-left corner of screen

hey yavora,

could you pm to me the following :

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
MTM [machine type model]:

(To locate MTM - http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/FindProductNumber.page#find)

S/N:
Date of Purchase:
Case/Order Number : (if any)

Screenshot of Error(if applicable) : (upload it to a hosting site and paste the link here)

Description of issue :

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.