Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Ron1

X220 with Samsung SSD 830: Success? Full Disk Encryption (FDE)?

1. Have any of you tried installing a Samsung SSD 830 Series drive in the X220, and if so can you recommend or dis-recommend?

2. Can anyone definitively verify whether or not the SSD 830 drives support full disk encryption?  I see conflicting information about that on the internet...

Thank you.

Punch Card
motomandk

Re: X220 with Samsung SSD 830: Success? Full Disk Encryption (FDE)?

[ Edited ]

Hi

i have a Samsung 830 128GB in my X220 - and i am very very happy with it.  Fast boot and very fast program loading.

See this thread: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-and-Samsung-830-SSD/td-p/583323.

Boot time from BIOS screen disappear until desktop availiable about 25 sec., until all programs loaded it is about 35 sec.

Loading of programs like Word/Excel takes <1sec.

I dont use encryption.

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!)
Serial Port
Ron1

Thanks, Henrik!

Do you know if the drive supports hardware based encryption?

Punch Card
motomandk

Sorry - i dont' know that.

I found this using Google:

"The enterprise version of the 830 enables full-disk encryption (AES-256) however Samsung's product literature doesn't clarify whether or not the same is true for the consumer version."

and this:

"Samsung SSD 7PC256 MZ-830 256 GB. The brand new Samsung SSD 830 series offers excellent access occasions, fast data and a lot of IOPS. Hardware support for full disk file encryption (256-bit AES). Review not far off! Incoming search terms:MZ-7PC256samsung ssd 830ssd 830 support full disk ecriptionmz-7pc256 trimSamsung-SSD-830 jpgsamsung 830 series encryptionsamsung 830 ssdsamsung ..."

But nothing on the danish Samsung site about encryption.

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!)
Token Ring
orion9727

anand also hit on that.
knowing samsung and knowing they have in the past had aes 256 on the past ssd and knowing the market of this disk and knowing what ocz octaine is all about i say 100% i would expect this from samsung.
they surply to apple and sony i really bet on this one and i dont like to bet.i like to be certin.
samsung is very quite on this new product.
there alot at stake for them.
alot of choces in the market now with octaine.
sandfoce is no longer kill of the hill where good and bad fly.
Paper Tape
oliverpool

I have been using the 830 256GB Samsung SSD on my X220 for a week now and it works a treat! Not sure how to confirm if it supports 256bit AES encrpytion though.

Token Ring
orion9727

it like a charm for me.
i tested alot of ssd over the years and it a total different feel.
it weak on brazos -wont do over sata 2 and on paper atto says it slower then sandforce 1 but the feel is so diffeerent i tell yea.
boot time varry alot 22-28 on lenovo EE boot program i think that has to do with trim and brazos alot.
on a sandy it should have plenty of cpu power.
the samsung also shows up as the fastest drive bar none in the reviews also in writes too if you look at how they test it.
i know sandforce normally shows heavy here but when they change the test the samsung that normally dont look like the king becomes it by a margin.
test suites are what i look at and not just atto or hard drive bench.
programs ade to test old drives made years ago.

i do think this new ocz octaine might save ocz and give the samsung a run for it money.
the sandforce issues has been alot of finger pointing and we shall see now that ocz owns indilnex.
but ocz dont own no nand fab or dram and they left the memory market for good where as samsung has it all inhouse as they make every part of what in a samsung ssd and that means they can the best drive ever.
not only that apple and sony trust them and no other drive maker and that says alot in it self.
Serial Port
Ron1

I have finally gotten an answer from Samsung regarding encryption.  Sounds like hardware FDE is only supported on the OEM version, not on the consumer version:

My Question:

• Does the SSD 830 (Notebook 256G version: MZ-7PC256N) support Full Disk Encryption (FDE) with a password through the BIOS? I read on the web that your enterprise version of this product does support FDE, but it's not clear whether or not that is also supported on the consumer version.

Their Response:

• Dear Customer...The retail market 830 series SSD does not natively support FDE. Only OEM version of the unit have the encryption placed. Samsung recommends the use of programs to encrypt the data on the drive... Thank You for choosing Samsung.
Token Ring
orion9727

i wrote them and to be honest i found there surport very bad.
look very close at there respone.
my 2 cents on that.
also i know for a fact samsung make use of the same exact ssd they just whitebox it.
oem means your the surport so it cheaper.

normally oem is sold to pc makers like sony/apple/lenovo etc that seprate from enterprize market and thats what most have FDE for.
mayby anand with do another review of the samsung now there selling well.
Blue Screen Again
cellphonecare

[ Edited ]

I've just installed SSD Samsung 830 series 128gb into my X220, then i setup the fresh Ultimate Windows 7 again. Before i setup Windows7, i need to change ACHI mode in Bios to Compatible mode, then i can setup fresh Ultimate Windows7 easily, after finishing setup all driver, i run "Regedit" to change MSACHI = 0(many forum show how to do this thing), then i restart the laptop go into Bios again to change back to ACHI mode. When my laptop boot into Windows, the system ask you to install ACHI driver, Now the booting time is 25 second, shut down is 10 second. I've also tested by Crystal Disk Mark: Read up to 490Mb/s, write up to 310Mb/s, test by BenchMark: Read 500Mb/s, Write 300Mb/s, it really like dreaming. Now i can absolutely confirm that X220 support SATAIII, i love my X220.