Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
junecore

Trouble installing Intel 510 ssd on X220 i7 usb3.0 laptop.

Re: X220 with USB3.0, no mSata SSD possible ?
Options
07-12-2011 09:12 PM

I have 
X220  4286-CTO i7-2620M  4GB RAMBIOS:1.16 (5.18.11)
Trying to install on Intel 510 Series- 120GB SSD.  version#: G19793-102 
The lenovo Recovery process detects the HDD but ultimately says OS does not support the HDD?

What would it take for me to use my $300 investment work for me?
TPM disabled - I had the recovery copied from the regular sataII hdd and the recovery software copied all data on ssd but it's not booting.

JC 
Paper Tape
zerox202

4286 CTO (detailed configuration in my posts back up in the threads) detects intel 310 80gb msata perfectly.  Thanks for the fix Lenevo.

Punch Card
NeuroKnight

Renice X3 120GB SSD works great so far on my X220 Tablet (4294-CTO), using it right now to enter this reply (Win7 installed).

Had a problem with it crashing every time it woke from sleep but works fine now that I'm using a generic windows driver and not the Intel drive that came preinstalled.

Paper Tape
aznhomig

Same issue here. :smileysad:

Punch Card
pkincy

Re: Trouble installing Intel 510 ssd on X220 i7 usb3.0 laptop.

Re: the Intel 510.

Hopefully you have also made a windows 7 repair disc (different than the R&R disc that should put the factory image back on).  Try it.  If you don't have one you can make one from another computer.  They are not Win 7 install discs just repair discs.  Try to repair the OS R&R image.

Mine worked just perfectly from the R&R discs.  I am presuming you booted from the CD and initiated the SSD and formatted it.  Given that the R&R discs should lay down the original C: Drv as well as the Sys partition as well as the Recovery Partition.  So you should have 3 partitions after you are finished.

Perry
W520, I7 2720QM, M4 512 GB SSD OS/Program Disk, C300 256 GB Data Disk in Ultrabay Caddy; X220, I7 2620, Samsung 256 GB SSD, Intel 310 mSata Drv, T61, ancient but working, Asus MoBo, I7 2600k overclocked
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

pkincy wrote:

Re: the Intel 510.

Hopefully you have also made a windows 7 repair disc (different than the R&R disc that should put the factory image back on).  Try it.  If you don't have one you can make one from another computer.  They are not Win 7 install discs just repair discs.  Try to repair the OS R&R image.

Mine worked just perfectly from the R&R discs.  I am presuming you booted from the CD and initiated the SSD and formatted it.  Given that the R&R discs should lay down the original C: Drv as well as the Sys partition as well as the Recovery Partition.  So you should have 3 partitions after you are finished.

You will only have the Recovery Partition on the mSATA SSD if you choose that option. Another option is to just restore the OS partition, which is all that's needed if you leave the Recovery Partition on the hard drive (saving space on the mSATA SSD drive).

UPDATE: That was not correct -- you are only given the option to restore the entire drive (including the Recovery Partition), not just the C: partition. My apologies for the error.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Punch Card
pkincy

I suppose that may be correct but the recovery portion is designed to be removed after installation.  I have forgotten the exact steps but it is about 2 keystrokes and the recovery partitioin is removed and the space is recovered in the C: partition.

So you are left with a roughly 1 GB System partition and the rest is your C: drive.

Pretty foolproof.

Perry
W520, I7 2720QM, M4 512 GB SSD OS/Program Disk, C300 256 GB Data Disk in Ultrabay Caddy; X220, I7 2620, Samsung 256 GB SSD, Intel 310 mSata Drv, T61, ancient but working, Asus MoBo, I7 2600k overclocked
What's DOS?
marcd

Perhaps when the Renice X3 120GB mSATA drive is not working it could be just dead. It comes with a mSATA to SATA adapter you can check the functionality and see it its being recognised by using it as a USB drive. If it is not working you should start a RMA procedure with the manufacture or from the site you bought it from.

Punch Card
jimls

I was working fine with X220 4286CTO I7 Intel 80gb mSata SSD and Samsung 256gb SSD. I decided to update to BIOS 1.19 and am happy to report that it works fine too. Thanks Lenovo.
Fanfold Paper
kaighal

Hello to everyone :smileyhappy:

I have found this topic about the Thinkpad X220 that I intend to buy, and thought that perhaps some of you would be so kind as to help me about it.

I would like to add a few extra things to this laptop :

1 - an eGPU setup, which I am currently using on the laptop that will be replaced by the X220.

2 - A mSATA SSD (to install the OS and software) + an extra storage HDD (for media files) instead of the DVD drive. If I can get this working, I intend to pick a SSD as the default drive in the laptop config and install games on it (the mSATA would be too small).

Apparently, there are issues with some mSATA SSDs that require a Bios update (1.19 ?). However, according to Xav and his post, eGPU doesn't work with BIOS 1.15 and requires 1.11 or 1.12.

So I would like to know if you guys have any information about this and can tell me if there is a BIOS version that would be compatible with both the mSATA SSD and the eGPU (again : 1.19 ?). If you don't know, then perhaps you have clues about the X220 versions which have no problem with the mSATA SSD (apparently only certain versions have a problem with it) ? Perhaps I should order the optional WWAN module when building my laptop to be sure that a mSATA SSD will work, or is it irrelevant ?

Also, do you have any information about compatible HDD caddies that I could buy to replace the DVD drive, and do you know which HDDs would work with them ?

I understand that I might be asking a lot and I apologize in advance for the bother. I would really appreciate your help, should be be able to provide any.

Thank you in advance :smileyhappy: