Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,251
Solutions: 1,341

Re: X230 picture

These pictures are the real McCoy, since they are pulled from the Lenovo official website.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Broadband 3G
ibmthink

Yes, no fake. I took the image from an official Lenovo-PDF document, where Lenovo removed the image after a few days.

ajkula66
Kudos: 757
Solutions: 800

ibmthink wrote:

Yes, no fake. I took the image from an official Lenovo-PDF document, where Lenovo removed the image after a few days.

Yes, I know that. My statement was not posted to doubt you and/or your intentions/sources, but merely as an expression of hope that someone, somewhere will come to their senses and revert the changes made to the keyboard layout...:smileysad:

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
WWAN
Puppy

[ Edited ]

ajkula66 wrote:
Yes, I know that. My statement was not posted to doubt you and/or your intentions/sources, but merely as an expression of hope that someone, somewhere will come to their senses and revert the changes made to the keyboard layout...:smileysad:

I rushed to buy one of last X220 boxes (i5 + IPS) available over here just because of these images. I asked local Lenovo office about an overlap of X220 and X230 availability but they couldn't confirm how long X220 will remain available (most of eshops have no longer listed them).

I expect some kind of apology from Lenovo if the ThinkPad classic keyboard layout will be available for X230. Because it is not fair to not deny speculation about removing one of key feature of ThinkPads.

Punch Card
JWTS

Puppy wrote:

I rushed to buy one of last X220 boxes (i5 + IPS) available over here just because of these images. I asked local Lenovo office about an overlap of X220 and X230 availability but they couldn't confirm how long X220 will remain available (most of eshops have no longer listed them).

I expect some kind of apology from Lenovo if the ThinkPad classic keyboard layout will be available for X230. Because it is not fair to not deny speculation about removing one of key feature of ThinkPads.

You "expect an apology" because a company chooses to release its product on a certain date, and because it's not willing to provide information about leaked photos before that date? No offense, but I think you're being ridiculous. You made a decision to buy an X220 (as did I just recently), but there's always a bit of a guessing game about what's coming next. That's how it is in every business. I also understand you're more limited w/options given your location. But mfg's hold back information for a reason (or many reasons). You made a decision based on speculation, but ultimately it was your decision. Blaming Lenovo seems a bit silly to me.

That said, I'd be incredibly surprised if the old keyboard is available on any of the existing model.

Fanfold Paper
pertierr

[ Edited ]

Whatever the opinions we all might have, one thing is clear.  All it takes is to do a google search on this subject and you'll see what I mean.  The internet is chuck full of opinions (like mine! :smileyhappy: ), however, seldom does one see such overwhelming response to this change, and it is as unified a response as you will see on the internet.  I have yet to find a single post regarding how much people hate the classic Thinkpad keyboard.

Other companies would pay a lot of money to have this level of user involvement or reaction to a change in their product, which is exactly why Lenovo would be wise to LISTEN.

At least have an X221 with the classic keyboard and thinklight, and use the same X230 motherboard.  Or call it X230c whatever.

Nobody is saying their chiclet isn't the best on the market, but clearly people love the classic keyboard, and it is a unique feature that no other computer has.  With the new keyboard there really isn't much about a Thinkpad that edges it out over other brand laptops.  With the classic keyboard, it's no contest. (for me at least)

Punch Card
ahumeniy

I'll be waiting for the X240 with glossy mirror-like screen, chasis and lid lights, huge multi-touchpad and TV Tunner...

'Cause everyone likes that things on their laptops, am I right? After all, they're entertainment devices.

Punch Card
JWTS

pertierr wrote:

Whatever the opinions we all might have, one thing is clear.  All it takes is to do a google search on this subject and you'll see what I mean.  The internet is chuck full of opinions (like mine! :smileyhappy: ), however, seldom does one see such overwhelming response to this change, and it is as unified a response as you will see on the internet.  I have yet to find a single post regarding how much people hate the classic Thinkpad keyboard.

I certainly don't "hate" the old Thinkpad keyboard; I've used one for the last >10 years. That said, I prefer everything about the new keyboard. I'm currently using an Edge E420 and I received an X220. Based on my experience with the Edge, I'll probably upgrade to an X230 if it's not a ridiculous amount of $$ out of pocket. I say this based on my experience w/the Edge keyboard, along with using some other backlit keyboards briefly.

• I prefer the larger key tops of the chicklet keys, and the spacing between them. This keyboard feels nothing like other chichlet keyboards. I type faster, with fewer mistakes, on this keyboard. They also seem to have a firmer "click" than my X220 keyboard. The overal sensations of typing are better on this keyboard for me.
  • I actually prefer the top row not being there. It's easier for me to hit the top (6th) row sightless without over-shooting. It also makes (potentially) for more space at the bottom, for larger palmrests and a larger touchpad. Frankly, I never use any of those keys except the print screen key, which is still included (must moved). So, for me the 6 row keyboard is an improvement.
  • I much prefer a backlit keyboard over a light. The backlighting is much more unobtrusive, and more useful for me. The thinklight doesn't really illuminate the top row all that well (though the X220 light is better than my T61 light). The backlight is something I'd leave on low while typing in the dark. The thinklight is something I'd click on when needed. In actual practice, I never used it--I ended up tilting the screen and using that as a light.

So, I wouldn't say that the change to the new keyboard is universally despised. I realize that I'm in the minority among TP users, but these are my thoughts. I guess the real question is whether or not the change will bring more new users than it alienates. Time will tell. I do agree that keeping at least one model with the classic keyboard may have been smart,  but I wonder how much of the total sales this would really comprise.

Punch Card
timenetworks

[ Edited ]

6row keyboard do not provide more space at the bottom, as the 7th row share with the power, volum button

I personally think that the default option is with traditional keyboard and provide option for special user/ minority user

ThinkPad should be the tool which care most of the user in the world with option!!

and

Blacklit and ThinkLight should able to be co-exist

===Signature===================================
ThinkPad x61 with AFFS 1400*1050 panel (certified dead)
The Ultimate Machine so far
Punch Card
JWTS

timenetworks wrote:

6row keyboard do not provide more space at the bottom, as the 7th row share with the power, volum button

It definitly provides more room; the power button is to the side and the volume buttons are integrated into the top row. I'm typing right now on keyboard with this configuration. There's absolutely no way to add keys without moving everything down! Whether or not it's implemented that way on the X230 remains to be seen, but on the Edge series and X1, it certainly moves everything 'up'.

As far as the traditional keyboard being the default keyboard, my guess is that the majority of users will prefer the new keyboard. I just don't think the TP traditionalists flooding message boards to complain about the keyboard are indicitive of the typical user. I guess time will tell.

I agree, a Thinklight to light a workstation would be good to have in addition to the backlit keyboard.