Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
Squilliam

Re: X230 picture

The X230 seems be an internal upgrade only with no major changes except the processor, perhaps in line with the "die shrink" concept for the ivy bridge processor. However, one thing in the image immediately raises alarm bells. The Keyboard!!! Whoever first thought up of the stupid "island" design should be publicly shamed for putting "style" in from of "substance". There's a reason why traditional keyboards, like the one on the X220 have three ridges; so that one can correctly position their finger!

The design might be fine for laptops aimed at school children like the X130e being distributed in NSW, however, for "people who do", its utterly useless. Also squishing down the escape, delete and repositioning commonly used keys as home/end, page up/down and Removing the forward/back keys, I believe, is a major step backwards for useability, all so that the top bar can go from edge to edge!

Even with my X220T, the keyboard is still one of the most commonly used elements. Even with the extra performance, the cost on useability simply doesn't seem worth it.

Punch Card
timenetworks

Beside the problem of keyboard

There is a suggestion that I hope ThinkPad will include in the future

A monitor with high definition

Last few days, my friend told me that a brand starts with "S" contain notebook with Full HD resolution in 13"

So, when will ThinkPad contain a display panel with Full HD resolution in a 12-13 inch model?

===Signature===================================
ThinkPad x61 with AFFS 1400*1050 panel (certified dead)
The Ultimate Machine so far
ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 732

timenetworks wrote:

So, when will ThinkPad contain a display panel with Full HD resolution in a 12-13 inch model?

If I were a betting man, I'd say not in the near future.

Screen resolution on ThinkPads (as well as on most other laptops) has been going down and not up for the past 5-6 years.

So, you may want to throw 8GB RAM and a good SSD in that X61T, get a couple of spare screens just in case and keep on trucking...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Guru
HiVolt

Resolution wars are gonna heat up again I think, especially if Apple's rumored "Retina HiDPI" Macbook pro's come out.

Lots of manufacturers gonna try to play catch up. I'd love to see a 1920x1080 res on a X220/230 type laptop. I wonder if X230 would have that option, or even something like 1600x900 if the panel might be a swappable part to the X220.

---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Fanfold Paper
pertierr

I think you are correct.  Once Apple starts doing it then everyone will play catch up.  It seems they set the standard in several features, and I for one appreciate this fact when they set a forward looking standard like retina displays.  Unfortunately on the keyboards they are more on the trendy side.

As for the X220/X230, personally I think the screen is so small that even the current resolution works for me.  I would much rather have them make it 4:3 so I can get more lines of code on the screen, and perhaps increase resolution slightly to account for this.  However, whether I can see the pixels on characters or not is irrelevant for work purposes.  Nice, but will not make me more productive at the normal distances to the screen.  On my W530 on the other hand, the 1920x1080 is very handy because a 1366x768 on that large a screen is inefficient, forces fonts to be larger.

I would personally take the current resolutions with the classic keyboard, over a higher resolution X220 with island keys.

Punch Card
timenetworks

[ Edited ]

It is apple again

Waiting apple to create the standard

Once upon a time, ThinkPad is the standard

Now, Apple is that standard

But

Apple contains model with 1440*900 16:10 monitor

Why ThinkPad won't follow?

And

Intel is trying to motivate manufacturer to create notebook with high resolution monitor

If ThinkPad follow (I can't see why ThinkPad won't as nowadays ThinkPad only follow the others)

Then there is a chance that we got a high resolution ThinkPad

jiv
802.11n
jiv

timenetworks wrote:

It is apple again

Waiting apple to create the standard

Once upon a time, ThinkPad is the standard

Now, Apple is that standard

But

Apple contains model with 1440*900 16:10 monitor

Why ThinkPad won't follow?

And

Intel is trying to motivate manufacturer to create notebook with high resolution monitor

If ThinkPad follow (I can't see why ThinkPad won't as nowadays ThinkPad only follow the others)

Then there is a chance that we got a high resolution ThinkPad

I'd happily take a lower resolution if I get back the ThinkPad quality and feel from the IBM days.

Punch Card
timenetworks

If feels like IBM days

The resolution won't be low!!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
sabbas

And, it's official

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/15/3021087/lenovos-2012-thinkpad-line-hands-on-photos#3361400

Put my order for X220t i7 on hold ;-)

Let's see how the x230t turns out. People are vary of the keyboard. Since I haven't used Thinkpad keyboard in a long time, I think, I wouldn't find the new keyboard 'dificult'.

fingers crossed. any news when the release is expected for middle east?

regards,

Shereef

Fanfold Paper
pertierr

One can clearly see from these pictures that the bar at the top with the thinkvantage/volume buttons is unused, and they just made the ESC and DEL buttons smaller for the hell of it.  There would be no space hit whatsoever in keeping the old layout.  What were they thinking.