Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
timenetworks

Re: X230 picture

[ Edited ]

It seems that lenovo no longer produce ThinkPad anymore. It is the age of MacPad

or

Just lenovo don't know ThinkPad users' view and requirement?

I think it is time for us to tell lenovo what ThinkPad we want.

I think there are some feature that a ThinkPad must have

1. TrackPoint

2. 7 rows keyboard

3. Skin like texture shell

4. Good build quality

and more

Moderator Note; post merged in, subject edited

===Signature===================================
ThinkPad x61 with AFFS 1400*1050 panel (certified dead)
The Ultimate Machine so far
WWAN
Puppy

Mark,

problem with this No, we can't policy is that availability of new and old model of ThinkPads usualy does not overlap (at least not here). These pics available on various sites speculates that the key feature that represents the ThinkPad brand for two decades might be removed in new generation.

I think that in such situaton every company should at least make a statement that these speculations are false without revealing more details. Call it customer care.

Punch Card
timenetworks

Is it a sign that the picture is true?

WWAN
Puppy

timenetworks wrote:

Is it a sign that the picture is true?

No. But there is picture of W530 linked from lenovo.com site which supports the speculation:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2012/04/13/lenovo-thinkpad-w530-pic-leaks-to-the-web-g...

Fanfold Paper
pertierr

Lenovo just took a dump on the red black and blue.

I just ordered an X220 just because of these images. It is the last Thinkpad.

How I hope it's not true or they offer a classic keyboard option.
Broadband 3G
ibmthink

[ Edited ]

@ timenetworks,

"Is it a sign that the picture is true?"

I found this image in a official Lenovo document, so I would say, yes, it is true. :smileyhappy: There are enough other pics in the web like here. (I will not post them here anymore).

So I would say, Chiclet is coming through the new ThinkPad-Lineup :smileywink:. We will see wether it is a good change or not. I would personally wait for the launch before I say that this is a bad change (I dont care about the 7th row, because I never used the key wich are there on my R60, so they are dont missing in my L520, im fine with a 6-row layout). I hope Lenovo has done a good work with the new keyboard.

IMHO this is a very smart move if the chiclet keyboard is as good as the (really legendary, I´ve tried it) X1 keyboard. Lenovo keeps the worlds best keyboard.

Punch Card
timenetworks

[ Edited ]

I do care whether the new ThinkPad are 7 rows or not

There are several reasons:
1. ThinkPad feature
2. I usually use those buttons
3. ThinkPad usually provide more buttons than other Laptop
4. It is better to have a hardware key than using software key all the time
5. It looks beautiful
6. Traditional ThinkPad user and fanboy have already used to the 7row keyboard structure
7. new design has change the structure of the keyboard, this make less convenience especially while surfing the net

For Chiclet keyboard
I think we can give it a try, but I don't expect anything
I love the traditional one and it seems that only ThinkPad provide this kind of keyboard

Or can lenovo provide choices for user to choose?

Punch Card
timenetworks

Another problem is the ThinkLight has gone with 6 rows keyboard as can be seen from the picture (the pageip key has gone)

I personally think that ThinkLight is better than keyboard backlight.

1. ThinkLight is less disturb that keyboard backlight
2. ThinkLight can act as a desktop light
3. Pressing Fn+PageUp key (bottom left key & top right key) to turn ThinkLight on, it is very convenience while in a very dark environment.
jiv
802.11n
jiv

The keyboard was the main reason why I bought an X220. I used a T43 for 6 years before this, and I decided to get a newer (faster) and smaller laptop. I really like the keyboard on my T43 and was too used to the layout, so I decided to stick with ThinkPads, as there would be little to no problems with getting used to the new keyboard.

That's what I (and I'm sure many others) like about ThinkPads; no matter which one you use, you'd have no trouble getting used to it. I'm afraid that's about to change with the new keyboard design.

Fanfold Paper
pertierr

What I don't get is: WHO was complaining about the Thinkpad keyboard?  WHAT exactly is Lenovo trying to improve, other than follow fashion trends that will be gone tomorrow?

I spend most of my time on my Thinkpads programming or doing other scientific work.  The 7-row layout is priceless.  The large ESC/DEL keys, the perfect location of PGUP/PGDN, dedicated F keys for debugging, EVERYTHING is useful.  It is there for a reason.  The Thinklight is priceless when you are working in a dark environment and not only need to type but are looking at other documents.

I also use several Edge E520's and the chiclet keyboard is not even in the same galaxy, and the layout SUCKS.  Just making the ESC and DEL keys the size of an ant is a gallactically stupid move, let alone the rest of it.

I also have some Ideapads Y560p with the old standard keyboard and the quality of the keyboard(not the layout) is FANTASTIC....and they changed it to chiclet!  There was nothing wrong with it, and it was one of the best laptop keyboards ever.  It even had less flex than my W520 keyboard.

The Thinkpad keyboard was the main distinguishing feature that makes it the de-facto professional laptop, in a sea of monotonous and Apple-emulating designs.

Lenovo, I understand you following trends to score sales with consumers, but DON'T MESS with the professional models!  Fix the things that people complain about.

I predict this keyboard thing will be like New Coke and they'll have to go back to Classic.