Support in other languages: 
ZaZ
Greps Everything
ZaZ

X25-M Help

I'm not an SSD guru, but I've had my X25-M for a few months now and it doesn't seem to be performing as it should.  After trying some stuff and having it still be pokey, I did a clean install with just the Intel drivers and it still isn't working right.  Over at the Intel forums after trying some stuff, they're telling me that the problem may be my notebook.  That seems odd to me because my X200 uses an Intel Chipset and SATA Controller.  I would think Intel's stuff would work best on their own stuff.  At any rate, I was wondering if anyone here had a similar problem or could offer some insight.  I know I could call support, but I thought I'd see if anyone here could help before I go down that road.  Thanks for any help.

Greps Everything
ZaZ

Re: X25-M Help

After some further trial and error, mostly error, I found that when my X200 is in high performance mode, it seems much quicker.  The benchmarks confirm this,scoring near close to its clean install score.  I'm wondering if the X200 throttles down the SATA controller while running in low power mode?  One of the things I really like about my X200 is when I run it in lower power mode, it runs completely silent.  I've set it to adaptive, which has helped some, but it's still not performing as good in full power mode.  I'd also be concerned about the loss of battery life while running in adaptive mode.  Anyone got any thoughts on this?  Thanks for any help.

getook

hmm interesting... I was just thinking about replacing HDD with SSD on my X200. Does it help with speeding up booting time?

ZaZ
Greps Everything
ZaZ

[ Edited ]

When I first installed it, it did seem quicker and booted faster, but as soon as I installed power manager and clamped down on the power usage to extend the battery life, the performance of the drive slowed considerably.  About the only benefit to me is it's very quiet, but I could probably get that with a 5400RPM drive and have a lot more space.  I'd like to figure out why the performance is so much slower in low power mode.  This has never happened to me before when upgrading to a 7200RPM drive, but those aren't offering the performance of a SSD.  People say it's a night and day difference with a SSD, but I'm not seeing it on my system.  I wonder if others with the same setup on the T and R are having the same issue?  Maybe there's just something I missed.

Edit: I would also add the performance was the same in Windows 7, which is supposed to be better with SSDs, though I personally find Vista and Win 7 to be very similar.  I think this is a hardware issue with the SATA somehow being slowed during low power mode, but like I said, I'm not super knowledgeable in these areas.

Greps Everything
ZaZ

No one else has seen a similar decline in performance in low power mode?  On the Intel boards they're telling me it's my system that's the cause of the issue, but I'm not so sure that's the answer.  I've seen others with the same chipset and SSD who say their performance is the same regardless of the power state.  I wonder if this is a Lenovo specific issue.  It's performns much better at full power, but then my fan is running all the time, which makes my laptop not very fun to use.