Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
wfaz
Accepted Solution

X300 Backup Time

Using Windows XP on my old Sony, I could do a backup for a later restore in a few minutes.  Why does the ThinkVantage backup utility take 5 or 6 hours to backup the system?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help,

Faz

Serial Port
wfaz

Re: X300 Backup Time

Now that I decided to let the "backup" finish, it turns out that it created a system backup image, not a system restore point.  Who would have thought that ThinkVantage would choose to backup the SSD to the SSD?  Every system failure that I have ever experienced involved the disk, and to fix the problem I needed a backup on removable media.  So, I deleted the "backup" and got some of the SSD space back.  I have already created recovery disks, and I will back up to CD or external drives as required.

Is there a simple way to use ThinkDisadvantage to quickly create a system restore point?  I like to do this before I install any new software, drivers, etc., but I can't wait 5 hours for it to take place.

Thanks,

Faz

Token Ring
VPN-User

[ Edited ]

Create shortcut to rstrui.exe. This will easily open System Restore with just a double click.

You may also read http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

There are hints like how to schedule system restore point creation etc.

BTW: ThinkVantage only does what you tell it to do - same is with every peace of software available on earth. So its actually your fault if you choose wrong backup type as well as wrong backup destination.

Message Edited by VPN-User on 07-29-2008 02:00 PM
Serial Port
wfaz

Thanks -