Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
DiPersiaTech

X300 Vista: Rebuild it with XP?

So I have someone that HAD to have an X300 that was in stock, but it had Vista.  The purchased it, and purchased a volume license key for XP Pro.  THEN they got me involved and asked me to rebuild it.  Figured I'd give it a shot since I have the recovery DVD that came with Vista in the box.

First step - XP Pro setup can't even find the hard drive, so I went digging around for the drivers to load during setup.  Not on Lenovo's site.  Not on Intel's site.  So now I'm thinking without an XP recovery CD, we're stuck.  But we technically SHOULD be able to get drivers and load XP on our own if we want.

Anyone try anything like this yet?
community supermod
erik

Re: X300 Vista: Rebuild it with XP?

if XP recovery media wasn't included in the box then call lenovo support and get a copy.   that'll be the easiest method.   X300s shipping with vista now include both vista and XP recovery media in the box so you should be entitled to the same thing.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

DiPersiaTech wrote:

First step - XP Pro setup can't even find the hard drive....

The "drive" interface in the X300 is SATA.

XP does not include any SATA support at all, so trying to install it on any recent laptop that has a SATA drive interface will give you the same result.

DiPersiaTech wrote:

.... so I went digging around for the drivers to load during setup. Not on Lenovo's site.  Not on Intel's site.

This package installs the Storage driver to enable the following SATA Storage Controller on the system board:
- Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
- Intel 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller

The following operating systems are supported:
Windows Vista 32-bit
Windows XP Home Edition or Professional
Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

The following systems are supported:
- ThinkPad Reserve Edition
- ThinkPad R60, R60e, R61, R61e, R61i
- ThinkPad T60, T60p, T61, T61p
- ThinkPad X60, X60s, X60 Tablet, X61, X61s, X61 Tablet, X300
- ThinkPad Z61e, Z61m, Z61p, Z61t

There is also BIOS option which disable AHC (Advanced Host Controller Interface) support on the disk interface and allows it to operate in an IDE-like mode.  You can  install XP by temporarily enabling that mode in the BIOS, and then download and install the above driver later, if you don't want to go through the hassle of specifying the additional driver during initial XP installation.

I also strongly suggest that you take a look at this Hints and Tips support page for the X300...

Cheers,

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
DiPersiaTech

Thanks, Bill - was going to post that later tonight.  The title of the file threw us for some reason and we initially passed it over.  At this point XP Pro is up and running and looks good.
Retired Guru
outouser

You can also include needed mass storage driver to installation media using http://www.nliteos.com/
I used that program to include sp2 + drivers for my Windows XP cd.
Paper Tape
DiPersiaTech

Great program - we've used that to slip drivers into server on occasion.

Next issue is going to be contact Lenovo to try and get programs only found on the recovery CDs/DVDs, such as WinDVD or whatever they use for DVDs.
Lenovo Staff
bloo

erik wrote:
if XP recovery media wasn't included in the box then call lenovo support and get a copy.   that'll be the easiest method.   X300s shipping with vista now include both vista and XP recovery media in the box so you should be entitled to the same thing.

Yup.  Absolutely.  Also, if your friend can get a refund for the XP license they bought, they definitely should.  Vista Business and Vista Ultimate include Downgrade Rights to XP, so they effectively come with an XP license.  The one your friend purchased is an extra.
--
Full disclosure: Lenovo issues my paychecks.
Paper Tape
DiPersiaTech

Correct, but ONLY with Vista Business and Vista Ultimate.  User has an open volume agreement with some extra licenses in it, so we're covered twice.
Paper Tape
DiPersiaTech

bloo wrote:

erik wrote:

Yup.  Absolutely.  Also, if your friend can get a refund for the XP license they bought, they definitely should.  Vista Business and Vista Ultimate include Downgrade Rights to XP, so they effectively come with an XP license.  The one your friend purchased is an extra.

So bloo -

Called Lenovo today to ask about WinDVD and such.  They said they only way is to use the recovery CDs.  Asked about the recovery CDs and was told I have to pay $45 for them and that's a Microsoft fee.  First I've heard of that.  Any recommendations?  I now have a system with XP, but can't use any of the software that comes with it because I can't get them out of the recovery CDs that I don't have.
Serial Port
Benedict

Has anyone done this for Windows XP x64 Edition on the x300 ?

I'd like to have this OS installed with the needed drivers so it sees the SSD.

Anyone even know what drivers are required for XP x64 ?