Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
JayNYC

X300 color profile problem

[ Edited ]
Hi.  Just got an X300.  Like all my laptops and desktops, I do a color calibration using Datavision SpyderPro2 to create a color profile that is near-professional.  The calibration runs fine on the X300, and the profile loads at startup which triggers the correct color profile and color balance and it looks great.  But just a few minutes later, magically, the X300 reverts back to the default color profile, essentially ignoring/ejecting the color profile I created with Spyder Pro. 

What is the cause of this?  Why would the X300 accept, then later on, reject and revert back to the default color profile (which, btw, is waaaaay too blue).

Thanks

Message Edited by JayNYC on 04-26-2008 07:45 PM
community supermod
erik

Re: X300 color profile problem

[ Edited ]
without knowing what OS you're using it's difficult to say exactly what's going on.   is the profile properly set up in windows color management?   have you tried running the LUT loader after it reverts back?   assuming you're using vista, have you tried setting a schedule in task scheduler to run the LUT loader a few seconds after login?

are you doing design and/or photography work with your X300's internal display using color-managed apps or are you simply trying to remove perceptive color cast for general use?   if it's the latter then the gamut controls in the intel video control panel may be markedly easier.   besides, let's not kid ourselves here, "near-professional" will be difficult to achieve on a 6-bit, 45%-gamut, 250:1-contrast-ratio notebook display. :smileywink:

edit:  typo (wrote 'task manager' instead of 'task scheduler')

Message Edited by erik on 04-27-2008 09:26 AM

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30

Serial Port
JayNYC

Erik, thank you for that rapid reply.
1.  OS = Vista Business (preloaded by Lenovo)
2.  What exactly is the LUT loader?
3.  You are 100% correct, I am not actually expecting "near professional" results -- that goal is too lofty.  To be more clear, I am seeking a better overall color balance, and I have a very difficult time playing with Intel gamma curve settings and find that an inexpensive solution like SpyderPro does the job. 

Any assistance here is greatly appreciated, would love to know how to get and keep my "custom" color profile loaded.  FYI, I have tried re-running the Spyder color profile loader and while it says "profile loaded" the colors on screen are not actually corrected.

Serial Port
JayNYC

here is a thread that describes the issue and it appears to be a Vista issue, not a Lenovo issue.  So I guess we can kill this thread.

community supermod
erik

i had a hunch you were using vista. :smileywink:

LUT = look-up table.   it's the table used by your video card driver to determine how each color has to render.   by changing values in this table, each color can be made brighter, darker, or shifted in hue.

the way i worked around the vista issue is to set a schedule in task scheduler to run the LUT loader roughly 15~20 seconds after login.   this covers both login after boot and after recovery from sleep.   it's a PITA but is the only workaround i can think to do.

i briefly glanced over the article you've linked above and it sounds like exactly what i went through back in august when i received my T61p and first used vista.   i'm still using vista today and have since decided to live with the added headache with vista's color management interface (or lack thereof).

if all you need to do is remove color cast then seriously consider using the gamma controls in the "color correction" section of the intel GMA control panel.   if your display appears too blue then just knock the brightness down on the blue channel until it looks good to you.   since you aren't doing design work with the X300, this will be a perfectly viable solution.

ThinkStation C20Microsoft MVP
ThinkPad X1C · X220 · X60T · s30