Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ilias

X40 - a couple of issues

Hello,

I have a couple of issues, and i was wondering if I have to send my laptop for repair regarding all of them, or just ask for the parts from Lenovo, or if I had to do anything else.

Also, if I send my laptop for repair, can i keep my hard-drive? Or how can i do a comple backup of my hard drive?  I have two partitions,C (25gb) and D (10gb), one for the system, and one for the data? I don't have the recovery parition and no DVD from Lenovo anymore.

Here are my issues:

1 . I have 4 white spots (2 in the left, and two in the top right), 2 grey spot (in the lower middle) and some black leaks on the top of my screen (i don't know how to call that, it's like if i had some black water leaking o the top)

2. my left usb part doesn't work properly anymore, i can only use the right one to power my usb slim external hard drive, but the thumbs drive work on the left one.

3. my wifi card doesn't work well anymore, I have to stay very very close (around 1 meter) from my router.

4. my fan is doing a heck loud noise for the last 3 to 4 months.

5. my charger has a part which is not covered by plastic anymore, and it worries me (electrochocs?).

6. finally the weirdest part: sometimes it just shut off, I don't press the stop button or anything, it just doesn't want to work and it stops. It might be a virus, but I never saw that, and I have  Antivir, Comodo Firewall and SuperAntispyware. But I really don't know. I happens once in a while though.

Well, here are my "little" issues, but it's quite anoying, and as my warranty is running out (on the 1st of april 2009), I was wondering what i should do, and if I will have enough time.

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

ilias,

--
Thinkpad un jour, thinkpad toujours...

Thinkpad X40, Type: 2371, Modèle: K3U. Centrino 1,5ghz, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HD, 8 cells.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ilias

Re: X40 - a couple of issues

Also,

I have a 1.5gb of ram, if i send it do i have to remove it?

thank you.

--

Thinkpad X40, Type: 2371, Modèle: K3U. Centrino 1,5ghz, 1.5gb RAM, 40gb HD, 8 cells.
Agotthelf
Topics: 145
Kudos: 262
Solutions: 183

Hello ilias,

I would suggest take it to the service.

The shut off phanomenon regards to a bad motherboard.

The other problems with wireless, usb regards to the same diagnosis.

Unfortunately I don´t know if all of your problems are covered under warranty but I would give it a try.

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using New X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Yoga, Yoga 11s, Yoga 13, T430s,T510, X220t, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Community SuperMod
bananaman

WOw ilias that X40 sounds like a battle-scarred veteran!

If you have a charger wire with missing insulation I suggest you stop using it and replace it immediately. We want to keep you part of the Lenovo community!

With the number of issues the system has, whoever repairs it is going to need all the parts, so definitely back up the hard drive, and remove any confidential information.

If you are not under warranty, my guess is that the cost of repairs will exceed that of a new ThinkPad. It will almost certainly approach that of a Lenovo Outlet or IBM Used system (I think they both ship to Canada).

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ilias

[ Edited ]

Hi bananaman,

Thanks for your reply!

Indeed my laptop is a veteran of a lot of travels, intense usage, but with love care actually :smileywink:. I believe I am not alone who cherishes his Thinkpad. 

Well, sorry for the delay in responding, but I did not have my laptop to do so! Now my girlfriend gave me hers (still wondering the brand? Just let's say she is the girlfriend of a Thinkpad lover! :smileywink:

So now I can tell what I did: as you guys told me, it was better to send it to a Lenovo repair center. I first talked to a service rep after filling a form on IBM website on Wednesday the 25th, a really nice listening person,he told me that regarding all those issues, it is probably a motherboard problem, and the screen problem can happen from the handling of the laptop etc.. He told me that it was probably covered by the warranty and as long as I sent it by the end of the warranty it should be repaired. He sent me a nice box to put my laptop in by Friday the 27th.

On Monday, the 30th I scheduled a pickup and sent the package which was received on Tuesday in Flextronic, in Newmarket (Ontario, Canada). On Thursday, the company left me a message late in the afternoon. Then on Friday the 3rd of April I called back.

So bottom line, the person, Maria S. told me that according to the repair engineer, the screen white spots are due to pressure on the screen and that i should have but books or something on it. Also the problem with the charger (more or less 5 cm on the wire is not covered anymore) is not covered by the warranty. Finally she did not give me any details, but she told me that the motherboard had problems but it was not covered by the warranty. She also suspected some not covered manipulations of the laptop and told me if I opened to do something in it. Well I told her not really, I was barely able to change the keyboard once and add some RAM by myself! :smileywink:

Ok, so what's the bottom line? Well, 1200$ of repairs! Funny, no? The price of an X200, not even on Lenovo Outlets.

Well you all know that I am not going to pay for that obviously. But, this is the first time I really use the Lenovo warranty for a repair (Twice I asked for a charger because mine did not work, and once some keys on the keyboard started doing a weird noise and were hard to use, so they sent me a new keyboard that I replace myself). Seriously, I was expecting more:

1. I asked Maria if I could talk to the engineer. No. Can I send him an email? No. Can he send me an email explaining his observations? No. Can he call me? No. I told her, that no-offense, but I am wasting her time as she is the "middle-woman" without really being able to "explain" rather than "state" the situation.

2. My laptop is not new. I have been using it for 3 years now. I love it, and try not to be harsh with it. But common, she told me that the screen was not well taken care of because a part is missing. What part would you wonder? A small part on the right if I remember that cover a screw. Well, it's not really a big deal, no?

3. What could I have done to the motherboard in order to break it without being covered by the manufacturer?

4. When you buy a laptop for more than 2000$, when you buy a Thinkpad, when you buy (then) an IBM, and particularly when you buy an X-serie,  you expect to get the best.

I expected to get the best. I knew that the Thinkpad were tough. I traveled with it to Ecuador for a nonprofit, I worked with it in the mountains, I did a very long trip to Europe with it in my backpack, I even spilled some redbull on it once as I was working for my last exam, and for all that time it served me very well.It wasn't my first thinkpad either. I started with an X24, then an X31, then this X40, next stop? An X200? Well I am reconsidering this.

I am probably going now to buy a new laptop, and just ask the company in Ontario to send me back my laptop. I was really disappointed. Seriously. On the phone, the first guy (I wish I remembered his name) was really nice on the 25th. But the result was far from my expectations. I am left with my "not-that-working" laptop, and the warranty is now over, so if I get it back,I cannot even send it again to Lenovo or whatever...

So what am I left to do? Maria S. even told me that there is no point in calling Lenovo again as they will redirect me to her. Is that true? Is it a problem with "Canadian Lenovo"? Am I the one who's responsible for not handling well his laptop?

Anyway, if you are still reading this, thanks for going through all this lengthy post! I appreciate it! :smileywink:

Have a great weekend!

ilias,

Message Edited by ilias on 04-04-2009 02:07 AM
Message Edited by ilias on 04-04-2009 03:06 AM
--

Ctrl-Alt-Del
ilias

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for you reply. Really appreciate it. I was wondering, how can you know if a motherboard problem is covered or not under the warranty? I mean, the warranty means "manufacturing problem", but after 3 years of use, what's is a manufacturering problem? What is a user-made problem?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

ilias,

--

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

ilias,

Thanks for sharing, I got your PM and also responded to your post over on Get Satisfaction, so I won't go through all those points again.   Since you are already here, please send me another PM with the following details:

1) Contact info - Name, Address, Phone

2) MT and Serial for the system

3) Prior depot case number if you have it handy.

I'll ensure we follow up with you and have another look at the situation ...

Best regards,

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
ilias

Hi Mark,

I always thought that the main difference between, let's say Apple and Lenovo, and without starting a battle, is that:
Apple is like the popular handsome guy at the university who start telling you that you are "sooo special", and inviting you for parties etc..till you realise that it's because you pay the drinks.
On the other side I always felt that Lenovo perhaps was not the uber-party-animal, but probably the reliable guy who you could call at 2 in the morning because you were not able to finish your essay! With what happened to me, I felt almost betrayed. Imagine I was always praising Lenovo around, so when I talked to Maria, with her negative answers in mind, I couldn't even tell my flat-mates, I felt stupid!

Anyway, thank you for your prompt answer. Can you imagine that, I post a question Friday night (actually saturday morning aroun 4 am atlantic time), and a couple of hours later... an answer! Waw. I m getting my faith back in Lenovo! :smileywink:

So I will PM you the info you asked me for.

Thank you again for your follow-up, that's amazing!!!

Kind regards,

ilias,

--

Ctrl-Alt-Del
ilias

[ Edited ]

Here is another look at my laptop's screen. The black leaks were not always here, but I also got some white vertical strips. So i really don't know if it was due to "regular" use or really "harsh use".

Message Edited by ilias on 04-05-2009 08:13 PM
--

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

If there is a liquid damage then the motherboard will not be covered, did you ever got liquid spilled on the laptop? But usually they will tell you why something is not covered under warranty.

Your LCD is probably not going to be covered by warranty, the white strips are usually due to a loose connections in either contacts or cabling, which may happen after numerous open and close, something may just have worn out (could be covered if there is no other problems with your lcd screen). The black liquid coming out is the liquid crystal coming out of the LCD glass panel, there must be a fracture in the panel, this is due to excessive pressure been applied to the LCD screen, the white spots on the LCD further proves that you had applied great pressure on it.

But Mark_Lenovo probably will tell you more on the reason for why warranty doesn't cover the damage on the laptop. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft