Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
jschulich

X41--> Old School Laptop, Hopefully New Questions.

Hi there, I recently purchased a X41 off-lease and its working well. However, I have a few questions that have not yet been answered by the support staff of lenovo/IBM (via phone) and would like to give this forum (filled with insightful, helpful individuals) a try.

Questions:

1) What is the maximum size that the SD reader can support? (If it can support SDHC is 32GB Class 6 or higher possible? and If not by default, is there a service pack or driver that I can download and install to allow me to add on a fairly large SD Storage option.

2) Will switching to a 1.8" solid state 32GB hard drive void the warranty?

3) Is upgrading the internal wifi card to an N-compatible card be possible? Does lenovo or a 3rd party sell one?

4) Finally, will the full recovery media be able to be burned onto a bootable CD (because the Ultrabase only comes with a CD Burner)

Thanks for all your help in advance, looking forward to some replies. =)

-Jay

Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: X41--> Old School Laptop, Hopefully New Questions.

1. Maximum size i am unsure (some have tried a 16 gig SDHC a while back and reports it to work, while others have difficulty to get a SDHC of 4 gig to work), but you would need this XP hot fix to get it working above 4 gig.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934428

2. Swapping harddrive won't void warranty, as it is considered CRU unit. But the SSD is a SATA drive, i am not sure whether the X41 use a PATA or SATA interface.

3. I think there is good possibility of upgrading to N compatible wifi, but you need to source a Lenovo/IBM original part, otherwise it won't work.

4. Yes

Community SuperMod
bananaman

I have an X41.

2. There is no upgrade drive for the X41, only up to 60GB with the Hitachi C4K60. It uses an unusual sidewinder IDE connector. Some people have had success with home-made SSD's. Search thinkpads.com forum for more.

3. The WiFi card is mini-PCI, and there is no N-compatible card.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community SuperMod
bananaman

In my travels I came across this thread at thinkpads.com. The thread talks about a WiFi N card which can be made to work in the X41, with a BIOS hack.

I'm personally not going to try this, as WiFi G is plenty fast enough for my X41 (just used for audio streaming to my receiver). The X41 is a "performance dog", and I'm not sure upgrading to WiFi N will help much.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!