Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
yot101

X60 always hang

hi everyone. im using lenovo thinkpad x60 with windows vista business edition.

the problem that i have is my pc lately hangs after some time using it. i bought the pc last year and it was working fine.

after using it for abt 7 mnth, it started to hang after using it for 2-3 hrs. but sometimes it runs smooth for 5-6 hrs.

have to shut it down forcely and restart again.

anyone has same problem with me? or anyone know how to solve this problem?. really need your help.

thinking to re-install the windows from bootable drive but dont know how.

Fanfold Paper
Patrickvalmont

Re: X60 always hang

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming you have 1GB like me.
I manage to install Business and it ran like a charm but it had flaws.It would hang while loading websites in FF or even using CS3.
Go to services and disable services you won't need (am assuming you 're a home user)

And also minimize Vista for performace,not appearance, 1gb is not enough... and that sidebar is already a ram hog.

That's from my general point of view but it can also be your hard drive is fragmented or much less you're infected

Message Edited by Patrickvalmont on 07-03-2008 12:11 AM
If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris !!
Paper Tape
yot101

thanx for your advice..yeaps..i have 1gb ram

i tried to remove not needed apps and de-frag my hdd, but still hangs. dont know what to do abt it.

thinking to upgrade my ram to 2gb if this can solve the problem. anyone know what is the best ram applicable

for my lenovo x60. is it 2 slot (1gb each) or 1 slot (2gb ram) i have to buy.

this is my first time using laptop. im familiar with desktops but not laptops upgrades.

pls help

Fanfold Paper
Patrickvalmont

Thinkpad x60 uses DDR2 - 667 (Pc2-5300)

just flip your lappy upside down and unscrew the area where the ram is, and check on it for assurance

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris !!
802.11n
icantux

[ Edited ]

Hi!

First of all, Vista is a hardware hog. The hardware requirements are ... well, very demanding. Indeed, 1GB RAM is barely enough to run the OS to it's potential, more is better. The X60 can carry up to 4GB RAM, but only 3GB RAM will be recognized if you're running Vista 32bit version. If adding more RAM solves the hangups, then you're all set.

If it doesn't, or if you've already installed more RAM and it still hangs, then there are two possibilities of a computer acting this way: 1) hardware issue or 2) software problem.

1) Hardware

It's not very easy to determine what really is causing the "hang" because of so many variables. If it is a hardware problem, these types of issues (like computer hangs) are caused by bad RAM, excessive heat (mostly leads to spontaneous reboots, but sometimes just hangs), failing hard drive, bad memory addressing (involves CPU as well as RAM). Of these mentioned, the most common problems occur with either the RAM or the hard drive.

There's a special tool called "memtest86+" (free) which will check the state of your RAM. It will detect bad addressing in the RAM module(s) and will provide a report of such. If it turns out that there's a fault in the RAM, then if the machine is still under warranty and the RAM (which fails the tests) is the one that came with your machine, call Lenovo for a replacement. Otherwise, if it's RAM you purchased aftermarket, then you should replace the stick that's causing the problems.

If those tests pass, you can check your hard drive for any problems. You can use PC Doctor (windows or dos version) available from Lenovo for the X60. Use that utility to check your hard drive for any problems. Again, if the hdd you're currently using turns out to have bad clusters, then this means the hard drive is failing and should be replaced soon. If the hard drive is the one that was supplied with your machine and your laptop is still under warranty, you can call Lenovo for a free replacement.

2) Software issues

Are there any indications of the CPU running up to 100% when the "hang" occurs? That would mean that some process running on your system suddenly peaks and hogs all the system resources thus hanging your machine.

I would suggest you download "Process Explorer" (free download and use Vista or XP) and run it. If you wish you can make it replace Windows' own process manager (which is quite weak in terms of functionality) and you can make Process Explorer "log" all activity for a period of time. If there is some process that suddenly hogs all the system resources making your system hang, it will make note of it and you can check the logs to find out which process is causing you all this grief.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Message Edited by icantux on 07-04-2008 03:46 PM