Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
water

X60 can't create product CD

I have an X60 (1707-Y9N).  I tried with Rescue and recovery 4.21 and 4.31.  I did "Create recovery media" to create CD/DVD, but it doesn't allow me to create product CD.  The section for product CD is not there.  What it allows me to do is to create a recovery startup CD.  This CD doesn't contain the preload OS.  It is just a boot CD/DVD that allows to boot the computer and to load back up or product CD.

When I first got the computer, I created the recovery media and I thought I could use it to restore the system in the event of hard disk failure.  What a big mistake!  My hard disk was dead 3 days ago.  I bought a new one and tried to use the CD to recovery, then it asked me for the product CD!  At that time, I thought I must have make some mistakes when I created the CD or I lost the other CDs.  I was dead in the water!

I called IBM support and they were very nice.  They sent me a new hard disk with pre-load image that was same as what I got when I bought the computer.  I installed the hard disk and everything went well.  Now, I am trying to create a set of recovery CDs and I realize that it doesn't allow me to to create the missing product CD at all!  It was not my mistake!

I don't feel comfortable unless I have a set of CDs/DVDs that allows me to restore the computer to the original state.  Is there anyone knows why the section for creating product CD is missing for this computer?  I use the same Rescue and Recovery on an X40, I don't have any problem to create the product CDs.  As the matter of fact, this was how I found out the section was missing.

Please help if you know what is going on.  Otherwise,  I have to make a big complain to Lenovo.  It screwed me good!

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,251
Solutions: 1,342

Re: X60 can't create product CD

if you can't create it, you can call up Lenovo service again and request the discs to be sent out for free (provided you are still under warranty). Tell them that the thinkvantage system doesn't let you create the discs from the windows environment.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Ctrl-Alt-Del
water

Thanks lead_org.  Now a day, I find it is a bit hard to deal with Lenovo.  I didn't have any problem when IBM owned thinkpad a few years back.

I did request for recovery discs when I first got the computer.  I was told it was not shipped anymore, I would need to pay $50 for them  and I could create them myself with the RnR.  So, I created the startup disc without knowing it was just a start up disc because the label of the program in the windows Start was kind of misleading.  It is "Create recovery media".  So, after running it, I had to assue it created something that I could recover the system.  Certainly, I didn't try the DVD until now.  The tricky part is it formats the hard disk before ask me for the product CD.  I would stop at the point of format the hard disk if I would try it when I created it.  So, I will never be able to find out I can't recover the system with the disc.

After the hard disk was dead, I called Lenovo and I was transferred, given 1-800 numbers to call for the whole morming and no one could help me on the recovery discs without paying.  From my point of view, we should be allowed to download it.  Or it should be shipped to me without any charge regardless whether the machine is still under warranty because my disc was created when machine was still under warranty.  It is the RnR didn't create the complete content needs for a recovery.

At the end, I called my IBM's sale people.  They gave me the number to call IBM and shipped me the new hard disk.  To me, IBM is still the good old guy that you can trust and depend on even "thinkpad" is not their product anymore.  The funny thing is my thinkpad already has the name of Lenovo but Lenovo could not provide me with the expected support that I need.  At this point, I don't think it is the right thing to do to bother IBM for the recovery discs.  I should deal with Lenovo because it is a Lenovo machine and software.

lead_org

warranty is handled through IBM Service. They would send out the recovery discs for free (provided you are under warranty) under these situations:

1. failure of the hdd
2. recovery partition on the hdd got corrupted, and the user did not create a working recovery media.
Regards,

Jin Li

Token Ring
heretohelp

[ Edited ]

LOL Lenovo tried to scam you for the recovery disks !!

You are correct once upon a time they used to provide you with the discs but now they do not so when your OS fails as they often do it ends up being your fault you didn't make recovery media ... that will be $60 thanks.

They tend to rely on the fact that most modern laptops have a special part of the Hard disk called a recovery partition you often cannot see it but its there unless you format the entire disk as some people do.

On the recover partition resides the OS in a compressed format and some recovery tools you start them up by pressing a special key on startup. This is all well and good until your Hard disk dies because you guessed it the recovery partition is now no longer available.

Most manufactures will send you out the disks but they have conditions that they will only send it to you for free if your computer is covered by warranty otherwise they can charge you to send it out. If it sounds like a scam well it is and most people just pay up because they just need their computer working again, and its not much good to them with out an OS and its cheaper than buying a new version of windows. Some manufctures have quoted more than $60 .. sometimes even as high as $150.

Lenovo is not the only company who does this to be fair but when you think about it they do save money from not having to send a set of CD's out and you lose a bit of Hard disk space for the convienience of fast and easy system recovery...

So they probley should just send it out anyway most people would be prepared to pay for postage and you paid for the OS even if it was an OEM version. There is another option find someone who has the same make model and get them to make the CD's for you and send them to you... Lenovo repair facilities would have a set for most models we used to keep a huge library of recovery disks my advice is to use a hard disk cloning application like Casper its cheap and you can backup your entire HDD not just the OS.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
water

Thanks lead_org.  It is good to know.  I think recovery discs should be treated differently from standard warranty.  Like life insurrance, you can't test it out in advance.  I created the discs while the machine was still under warranty.  However, it is the RnR does not create it correctly.  I doesn't give me the option to create the product CD.  It is not my fault. I think what Lenovo should do is either fix the RnR to allow me to create the product CD or ship the recovery CD to me for free.  It is a fault in the system since day one.  Like any car recall, it applies to all affected cars regardless whether the car is still under warranty.

lead_org

if you are out of warranty, then IBM service won't able to issue you with the recovery media without charging you the handling fee.

You should have taken this problem up with them when you were still in warranty.

Also, you said that IBM service issued you with a new hdd containing the installed OS/recovery partition. I never knew IBM did that for people.
-------------

If your hdd contains the recovery partition, there maybe a chance that if you recover to the factory condition, then you would able to create the full recovery media set. (However, this maybe risky if you don't have the recovery media, just in case the process does not work).
Regards,

Jin Li

Ctrl-Alt-Del
water

[ Edited ]

I did.  The first thing I did after I got the computer was to ask them for the recovery discs.  They told me to use RnR to create it myself.  I created it but it is not something that can recover the system!

They did ship me a new hard disk that is same as what was in the machine when I got it.  It has the recovery partition, but I can't create a full set of recovery discs from it because RnR doesn't have the option to create the product CD.

As an alternative, I am backing up the hard disk to DVDs.  So, in case of a future hard disk failure.  I can restore it to today's state, but it is not same as the factory default that I would like.

lead_org wrote:
if you are out of warranty, then IBM service won't able to issue you with the recovery media without charging you the handling fee.

You should have taken this problem up with them when you were still in warranty.

Also, you said that IBM service issued you with a new hdd containing the installed OS/recovery partition. I never knew IBM did that for people.
-------------

If your hdd contains the recovery partition, there maybe a chance that if you recover to the factory condition, then you would able to create the full recovery media set. (However, this maybe risky if you don't have the recovery media, just in case the process does not work).

Ctrl-Alt-Del
water

I think many people have never have the need to use the recovery discs.  It is OK with me that they don't ship it with the product.  However, the manufacturers should provide a way for the customers to obtain it without any additional charge to what the customers have paid for.

It is also fine with me to ask the customers to create the recovery discs themselves.  But in my case, RnR doesn't create a usable set.  This is the problem.

I have X40, T43 and this X60.  I always create recovery discs soon after I got the machines and  I have never needed to use them until this time on X60.  I don't think anyone with this model can make a copy of the CDs for me from their machine.  They should be facing the same problem that they may not realize.

heretohelp wrote:

LOL Lenovo tried to scam you for the recovery disks !!

You are correct once upon a time they used to provide you with the discs but now they do not so when your OS fails as they often do it ends up being your fault you didn't make recovery media ... that will be $60 thanks.

They tend to rely on the fact that most modern laptops have a special part of the Hard disk called a recovery partition you often cannot see it but its there unless you format the entire disk as some people do.

On the recover partition resides the OS in a compressed format and some recovery tools you start them up by pressing a special key on startup. This is all well and good until your Hard disk dies because you guessed it the recovery partition is now no longer available.

Most manufactures will send you out the disks but they have conditions that they will only send it to you for free if your computer is covered by warranty otherwise they can charge you to send it out. If it sounds like a scam well it is and most people just pay up because they just need their computer working again, and its not much good to them with out an OS and its cheaper than buying a new version of windows. Some manufctures have quoted more than $60 .. sometimes even as high as $150.

Lenovo is not the only company who does this to be fair but when you think about it they do save money from not having to send a set of CD's out and you lose a bit of Hard disk space for the convienience of fast and easy system recovery...

So they probley should just send it out anyway most people would be prepared to pay for postage and you paid for the OS even if it was an OEM version. There is another option find someone who has the same make model and get them to make the CD's for you and send them to you... Lenovo repair facilities would have a set for most models we used to keep a huge library of recovery disks my advice is to use a hard disk cloning application like Casper its cheap and you can backup your entire HDD not just the OS.

Token Ring
heretohelp

Most people don't make recovery disks you tend to take the time to make them when you have been in a situation where you have a HDD die most people don't know how important it is to make them.

If they provided them free of charge then no problems because in my experience there are alot of people who get stuck in this situation and have to pay their way out of it.

We have about 300 X60's but we use our own Image server so we have no need to make recovery disks if you get a chance to use casper its not a bad program for making backups.

Its nice to see IBM hooked you up with a pre-imaged Hard disk great job