Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
squirm

X61 7675-CTO Fan Issues

Hi,

I have a question about the fans in my X61.  I have sent my laptop back Lenovo twice now to have the fans replaced.  It usually works for a month or 2 afterwards.  I was wondering if there is anyway that I can just get a bunch of the fans sent to me.  I am tired of having to send my laptop back to be serviced only to have the fans break again....It is extrememly frustrating and to complicate things, I have moved to Mexico, so sending my laptop back has become even more painful....

Thanks!

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Re: X61 7675-CTO Fan Issues

Squirm,

I can see how that would be frustrating.   Are the fans failing in exactly the same way?  Do you get an error or do the fans just not run?   What's going on?

The fan and heat sink are built together on these I believe, so the part cost is not completely trivial, so we don't send them out in bulk "just in case".    But really, you shouldn't have back to back fails. 

If the symptoms are the same, then it could be environmental, or it could be some bad parts (we should investigate), or it could be that there is something else associated that is causing the failures.  

I'd like to help... can you tell us more?

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
squirm

Yes, they are failing in the same way.  They start making this really loud noise (it rattles, ticks, and hums--not a normal hum either, a hum with a lot of vibration that I can feel through my keyboard--sounds like a loose bearing).  It has not completely died, but I am afraid that it will one day.  The rattling has gotten louder and the oscillations are greater.

I lived in Austin, TX the first time I got it replaced.  I received the laptop around July 07.  I think it worked really well for 6 months to 1 year.  Then the fan got crazy and I had it replaced.  It worked well again for another 6 months to a year after that.  I moved to Monterrey, Mexico this January.  Then around July of this year I got it replaced again.  I usually let the sound get to the point where it sounds like the fan is going to die before I replace it.  I do notice that there is more dust in Mexico, and it took less time for the noise to start up here.  Also, I use the computer non-stop.  I ride a bike and keep it in a bag when I ride.  I use it to produce music and it sits on a table with a monitor (speaker).  Maybe the vibrations from riding and the bass of the speaker are shaking it up?

Both times, they replaced the "second fan."  I don't get any errors.  The only reason I replace them is that they literally sound like they are dying.  It sounds like a rattle mixed with ticking.  Maybe there is something caught in it, or maybe the bearings are going out.  I'd open it up, but that would probably void the warranty--but at this point, I'd rather do that then keep sending it back.  I really like this computer and it works really well except for this one persistent problem.

Fanfold Paper
squirm

Also, I almost never use the docking bay, and I keep it on a hard surface all the time (never put it on a bed couch or pillow).

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 407
Kudos: 1,278
Solutions: 275

Squirm,

Some models of X61 that were WWAN equipped included a second fan located under the right palm rest area while the primary fan on all these models is at the left rear.

Can you PM me your serial number so I can look up your system information, confirm parts list, etc.

Does the sound come from the right front or left rear?  

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Fanfold Paper
squirm

Hey Mark, I sent you a PM a couple days ago. Just wondering if you got it.
What's DOS?
redsoc

I was wondering if this issue was ever resolved.  The same thing happens to me, and I normally do not have the luxury of losing my laptop for a few days as it is my sole work-related computer.  This normally hampers me from sending in my laptop (although I have sent mine in once for this very reason).  Thus, I would like to know if the issue has been resolved before sending in my laptop with the same results.