Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
yz250il
Accepted Solution

X61 7679 WiFi wont turn on?

Hi

I just bought a used X61 ThinkPad (7679) with no WiFi PCIE minicard onboard, so I bought one on eBay(Intel Pro/wierless 3945 ABG).

When I installed it in the wLan slot I got the following error message:

"1802 - Unauthorized network card is plugged in—Turn off and remove the miniPCI network card."

When I switched to the WWAN slot I didn't get that message and  Win7 seemed to installed it  successfuly, but I couldn't get a radio signal at all - it was off all the time and I couldn't change its status.

when I used a USB WiFi card I had control over the radio signal so I know its not that, I also know that the card I got on eBay supposed to work with the X61 7679.

here are sum pics.

Thanks

Nativ

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 238

Re: X61 7679 WiFi wont turn on?

[ Edited ]

Hi yz250il and welcome to the community,

Here is what that 1802 error is all about.  Lenovo matches the card to the antennae to be in compliance with FCC rules on interference.

As far as I know, almost all of the manufacturers do that.

Putting it in the WWAN slot is supposed to work with an X61t, but there's no listing for an X61.  

For a WWAN card to work in the slot, I think Access Connections is supposed to be installed, but don't hold me to that.

Maybe Access Connections has to be installed for a wireless card to work in that slot.

Edit:  For the card to work in the right slot, the card has to be a Lenovo branded card.  It has to have an FRU number.  It sounds like the one you got doesn't.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
yz250il

Hi Dave

Thanks a lot, using the link you gave me I found that if I taped over pin-20 on the card it hides the card from the BIOS check and now it's working fine (in the WWAN slot only).

Thanks 

Nativ

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 238

Thanks for that, the x61 is one of the models that isn't covered in the wiki.  I'll remember that.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество