Support in other languages: 
erik

Re: X61 Backlight problem

justin,

as i mentioned in your thread on NBR this morning, it's either your LCD cable or inverter.   if you've used the system for this long without an LCD connected then you may have damaged the cable during that time.   given that you spilled beer on the screen, i would replace both the cable and inverter anyway even if the inverter is working correctly.

normally i wouldn't suggest replacing the inverter, either, but the fact here is that you spilled beer on your system.   all bets are off at that point. :smileywink:

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Fanfold Paper
KevinNZ

Hi Justin,

Ah Haaa! The Beer! At least the LCD panel died happy.

I personally would still make my first task to be doing a positive check on the inverter fuse. Worst case is that issues on the panel killed (or overloaded) the inverter which in turn killed the fuse. It is a simple test and it least then you know that it may not be catastrophic. The fuse is very tiny, and if faulty, you will probably have to pay someone with suitable gear to replace it for you. Unless you have good contacts, this could upset the economics of repairing the laptop. If you wish (and if you have a multimeter); email me at kevinlovegrove at hotmail and I will send you images showing exactly how to go about it.

That out of the way, I would try the LCD cable first simply because it is cheaper and is a likely cure. You do know that the inverter was working after the event, and it is enclosed in a plastic shroud that may have protected it; a close examination should reveal if it imbibed any of the good stuff. Nevertheless, liquid spillage issues cause corrosion that can kill circuitry long after the event when you think it has all dried out. It may have got into the LCD cable connector for example. I would also be making very sure that no beer got into the main unit. Pity about the distance, I think I have a spare inverter here somewhere that I will probably never use.

Cheers

kevin

Paper Tape
Justintoxicated

Thanks Eric and Kevin, Looks like I have more laptop work to do.  I will try to pickup both an inverter and cable and go from there.  I love the the way this laptop is built and put together, its a pain to take apart (allot of small screws) but it is certainly easily rebuilt if you have the right parts.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 411
Kudos: 1,326
Solutions: 286

Kevin, Justin,

This discussion could become a great KB article for more advanced users wanting to troubleshoot and do more advanced repairs outside of warranty.  If you take some pictures and have more details on where you got the replacement components, it would be great to share.

Thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Paper Tape
Justintoxicated

Mark, I will see what I can do, I do have an SLR with a macro lens but I don't have great lighting for photography at night.  I'm hoping to take it back apart tonight to check some of the components Kevin sent me pictures of.

Paper Tape
Justintoxicated

[ Edited ]

Tested Fuses F2, F3, F5 and they all checked out ok.

Now I guess the next step is to replace the ribbon cable.  But I can't figure out which part number I need.  My Lenovo was a custom order from lenovo.  It is, 1.8ghz Low VOltage CPU, 21.1" Ultralight screen (I believe this is TMD), I do have the bluetooth.  But I'm not sure which part number is correct on this page.

93P4536 sound correct?  I don't have the laptop in front of me but perhaps it is on the cable someplace?

Also nothing specifies the inverter ont he parts page it lists. Here -> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-62914

39T5699

or

42T0152

Does that mean that either inverter will work?  They both look the same in pictures I dug up on the internet.  If so which manufacturer is better?

According on an ebay page selling a replacement part they may be cross compatible. The inverter they are selling for use with

Compatible Models:

P/N :9T5699, 42T0152, T62I226.04, 19.21070.001. 19.21072.062

It looks like the next best thing to do would be to replace the inverter, since it is a $10 part on ebay where as the ribbon cable is about $90.  (really? $90 for a simple cable?).  This make it such that if in fact the cable is bad, it may not be worth perusing the fix since I can buy a complete x61s for only $350..... (Got a deal on the screen for $215 off ebay but adding a $90 cable, and it would only be a few bucks more for a used x61s)..

erik

93P4536 is the correct FRU number for the X61s ultralight display.   the ultralight panel is made by toshiba (TMD).

either inverter will work with this panel.   39T5699 is manufactured by foxconn and 42T0152 is manufactured by YEC.   functionally speaking, they are 100% identical.

current pricing through IBM is as follows:

93P4536: $38.50

39T5699: $26.50

42T0152: $34.00

prices don't include tax or shipping.

you can order directly by calling 800-388-7080 options 2:1:1 or online at http://www.ibm.com/shop/us/maintenanceparts.

this is the least untruthful answer i can give.Microsoft MVP

Paper Tape
Justintoxicated

[ Edited ]

So I got the inverter from Kevin and tried it out.  I have the same problem, the backlight does not come on.

Unfortunately I am not able to find a replacement ribbon cable.  The site liked above says for the part that I need to call to check availability, however I just waited on hold for 15 minutes until my cellphone died and no1 answers.  Other sources want over $100 for the cable, and since I don't know for sure that it will fix the problem I'm thinking about cutting my losses on the LCD purchase and stopping here.  Or waiti until a cable shows up from a reputable source for under $100.

Paper Tape
Justintoxicated

I got the ribbon cable from lenovo today, it was about $54 shipped because they charge nearly as much to ship it as the cable costs itself.

The cable didn't work, I still get no backlight on my LCD.

I don't understand why or how this could happen.  Originally The LCD light up fine but it was badly destroyed.  

I have now replace the inverter, ribbon cable, and LCD and it still does not work.  Although the inverter I replaced it with was used.  I wonder if I could still just have an inverter problem?  

If its still just an inverter I think it is worth fixing, however I have $300 into this repair already and 0 results.  I'm not sure it is worth continuing on this journey?

Paper Tape
Justintoxicated

I was never able to  repair this laptop. 3 inverters, new cables, new LCD over $300 in parts and it never worked.

It  is  probably a fuse or something, if only I could by-pass that fuse  since they are non replacable fuses anyways.

Or find another  mainboard.

I have still been  using  the laptop as  a PC jut have to plug it into a monitor to use it.

I wish i could find a 7668-CTO ( L7700) System Board for cheap.