Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
khtse

X61 Speedstep and Fan problems

I have just got my X61 for a few days, some problems immediately concern me.

The first thing I noticed after running it for a few hours was that, the fan never stopped spinning! My machine comes with a Core 2 Duo T7500 2.20Ghz CPU. I have already set "Optimize fan control" to "Balance all parameters" and the fan never stops, even when the machine is in idle with the lowest CPU speed.

I did a search on forum.thinkpads.com and I found that many people have the same problem with their X61 and X61s too. The general solution is to turn to a program called tpfancontrol written by one of the forum members there. The program allows us to override BIOS fan control and set thredshold for when the fan kicks in. It works, but the problem is that even at the lowest fan setting allowed by the program, namely "1" ("0" is off), the fan is spinning at 3207 rpm and that is quite noisy.

I am a graduate student and I spend most of my time in my office (shared with other people) and in the library. The level of fan noise this machine generates will certainly disturb me and my colleages.

The second problem is about speedstep. Since I want to prevent the fan from spinning all the time, the first thing I did was to try to reduce the heat output when I am just serfing around and checking email. I installed the latest version of CPU-Z to monitor my CPU clock. I noticed that setting the CPU speed to "low" and "lowest" have no difference. Both setting clock my CPU speed to around 1596.5 MHz, with a multiplier of 8.0 and Bus speed 199.6 MHz. However, if I set CPU speed to "adaptive", my CPU can be clocked as low as 1197.5MHz, with a multiplier of 6.0 and Bus speed 199.6 MHz when it is in idle. Why can't I lower the multiplier to 6.0 and achieve a clock speed of 1197.5 MHz when I set the speed mode to "low" or "lowest" (and why are the two modes the same?)

I have already downloaded the latest drivers and all the thinkvantage updates. My questions and suggestions are:
(1) What is happening in speedstep? Why "low" and "lowest" are the same? And why "adaptive" can achieve a clock speed and multiplier lower than "lowest"?
(2) Fan problem, as noted above. It is a pity that we have to turn to a 3rd party program to solve the fan noise problem. Lenovo should add more flexible fan control functions to Power Manager.
(3) How can I set my fan to run at a speed between off and 3207 rpm? I am using tpfancontrol to set my fan level to "1" when the CPU temperature reaches 55C, and off below that. What happens is that: 0 rpm -> heat builds up -> 55C, 3207 rpm -> after 10 seconds, cooled down -> 0 rpm -> heat builds up -> 55C, 3207 rpm ...and so on. The 3207 rpm is certainly no a pleasant sound in a quiet room.

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Re: X61 Speedstep and Fan problems

Have you read the Thinkwiki about fan speed control?
Fanfold Paper
khtse

Yes I did, otherwise I wouldn't be using tpfancontrol. Yet it doesn't solve my 3 problems: (1) Speedstep, (2) Lenovo offers limited, if any, control over fan noise, and (3) the lowest speed of the fan on X61 is over 3000rpm.

The thrid problem is really annoying. If the fan stop spinning, heat and temperature build up. At 3000rpm, it is way too noisy. It would be very helpful if the fan can spin at lower speed, say 1000~1500 rpm, when the temperature is low. This would help preventing heat from building up when the system is not under heavy load and produce a much more tolerable sound.
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Give Speedfan a try, works on a lot of machines.
Fanfold Paper
khtse

I tried. It works on my desktop PC but not on X61.

It doesn't even show the rpm of the fans, not to mention fan control.
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

[ Edited ]
Another widely used utility is Notebook Hardware Control
I can't help you with the speedstep, that is managed by an Intel utility, that should be on your hard disk. (Power Management).
Perhaps that needs an update?

PS: I noticed that you have posted this problem already on TPF. Lot of mods here are also on TPF, so answers will probably be the same.

Message Edited by RealBlackStuff on 12-23-2007 03:25 PM
Fanfold Paper
khtse

If you have read my post on TPF you should know that I have already tried NHC and no it doesn't work. It can't even recognize the correct clock speed due to the fact that it cannot recognize the change in Bus Speed.

No there is no any Intel utility to control the speedstep. Power manager is a Lenovo Thinkvantage program and as I reported above, the "low" and "lowest" seem to be exactly the same, neither of them can reduce the multiplier to 6.

The reason why I am posting here, after getting no reply at TPF, is that apparently I have tried all the popular 3rd party softwares and none of them can solve my problems. It seems to me that the speedstep and fan problems require a BIOS update or an update to the power manager (or even a fan upgrade?), which I believe is something beyong the reach of a normal thinkpad user. Since this is the official forum of Lenovo, I am hoping that someone from Lenovo can answer my question and provide official solution, rather than asking me to try yet another 3rd party software that doesn't solve my problem.

At least I would expect a person from Lenovo can explain to me why the "low" setting seems exactly the same as the "lowest" setting, if it is not bugged.
billbolton
Topics: 68
Kudos: 167
Solutions: 103

khtse wrote:
I am hoping that someone from Lenovo can answer my question and provide official solution, rather than asking me to try yet another 3rd party software that doesn't solve my problem.
Have you actually asked Lenovo directly? There are several direct mechanisms described on the Lenovo support web site!

Cheers,

Bill B.
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Punch Card
Phil_L

Hi

The reason your SpeedStep isn't kicking may because OS power management has been disabled.  It's off when your power profile in XP is set to Home office desktop, set it to Portable/Laptop and SpeedStep should kick in.

A great bit of software that helps trouble shoot and can act as power management is RMClock http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

Regards

Phil
What's DOS?
nixx

Hi khtse!
I have almost the same problem with my T61. Did you manage to solve it somehow? Any info MUCH appreciated, thank you!