Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
Epaminond

X61 battery doesn't charge

[ Edited ]

Hi!

The problem is the battery doesn't want to charge at all. I have a blinking indicator under my monitor that shows battery is completely discharged. And my power manager says it's charged completely. I've left the battery for charging with the computer beeing turned off but nothing changed. The state of the battery is reported now as "idle".

This happened after I tried to run "Battery Rundown" function of IBMs "PC Doctor for DOS". I decided to do so because batteries capacity just jumped from about 70Wh to less than 30Wh several months ago. I am not a chemist but I still think the capacity can't change so dramatically because of the battery itself and it happend due to batterie's controller or smth. And so I googled a little and found some tips especially on ThinkWiki.

So what can one do with such a battery? Appreciate any help! :smileyhappy:

Battery stat:

First use date: 2007-09-01

Cycle count: 422

Design capacity: 74880

Remaining capacity: 22770

Model: 93P5030

Serial: 6335

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

Re: X61 battery doesn't charge

the sudden drop of charge capacity from 70 to 30 wh means that the couple of the battery cells have died. Given that you have already had 422 charge cycles on it, this is to be expected. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
Epaminond

OK, but I don't get 30Wh. The battery doesn't charge at all. If I unplug power the computer switches off immediately.

Community Moderator
richk

most likely, the battery is dead and cannot be repaired or charged.
lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,249
Solutions: 1,339

this happens because the Lenovo battery charging circuit have detected some unsafe parameters relating to your battery cell, and tripped the safety circuits.

This have happened to 3 of mine X60/X61 batteries (Sony and Sanyo celled versions) some while back, but they only had 70 to 110 charge cycles on it.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Serial Port
Epaminond

Too bad. ((

Thank you guys for an attention! At least I know what has happened now. :smileyhappy:

An old laptop that is 4 years older than my ThinkPad still can work for about an hour without power. Even though the battery it has is not an 8-cell one and it was used all the time. That's not the best innovation nor the _thinking_ development I guess.