Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
dmonti

X61 downgrade to xp question

I have a recently purchased x61 laptop.  It came with Vista business.   I would like to downgrade it to XP Pro.   How do I get the necessary installation materials?
andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

Re: X61 downgrade to xp question

Hi dmonti, welcome to the forum,

one possible method is covered here by Lenovo. Make sure you create the recovery cds for vista, should you ever decide to revert back.

If you choose to do it manually with a XP cd, you can find all the drivers here, there is also a link to the Think Vantage Technologies.

regards
XMAS

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
faried83

Hi Dmonti,

It can be easier if you can get the recovery cd winXP for thinkpad x61. Just proceed the installation and following the steps.

Cheers
What's DOS?
ajtorresp

Hi Andi,

I "donwgraded" my X61 from Vista to XP Pro. I prepared the Vista backup, and intsalled the drivers from the Lenovo Support website.

However, I have not been able to get the audio working. I downloaded the drive, and when I try to install it, it keeps showing this message:
"The HDS bus driver is required and not found". Could you tell me where can I get it?
Thanks

Antonio
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

I think this is what you are looking for.
What's DOS?
windbreak

Hi there,

Some questions I have about the solution you have provided.

You say to use a Windows XP Pro CD if you already have one.  Does your license for Vista Business work for activation of the XP CD?

I received 7 Recovery CDs along with my X61.  On the parts list that I received, it said something about Windows XP Recovery but then I tried the CDs I couldn't find an XP Recovery option.  Are these recovery CDs just for Vista then? 

Any advice is appreciated.

Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Yoy probably received the downgrade XP disks with your laptop.
You need to make a backup set of Vista (CD + DVD or 7 CDs), using R&R, before you perform the downgrade to XP.
That way you can always restore Vista back, after it has finally 'grown up'.
Paper Tape
sam5271

Hi All
I still have Vista and its a nightmare, I got the downgrade CDs from Lenovo 3 months ago, but can't get myself to do it. 
I am to the point where I really hate my X61.  It's so buggy. 
Do you guys recommend that I go ahead with the Downgrade. 
I appreciate the advice. 
Also one more question. 
When you install XP from the CD and do a clean install; would you recommend installing the Lenovo bloatware, and if so which ones should I get rid of.  They have some stuff that are just a duplicate of what Vista does, the wireless program, the back up...etc. 
Thanks again in advance  
Blue Screen Again
RealBlackStuff

Lenovo has this downgrading info on one of it's web pages, it has quite a few tips.
Most of the bloatware (which is included in the downgrade) can be uninstalled. Computer-savvy people can downgrade to XP without installing the bloat, but that is not for the faint-hearted.
You will need to install some Lenovo utilities, to make the hardware performing as it should (fingerprint reader, function keys to mention but a few).
What's DOS?
pondjol

Hi All,

I'm a newcomer in here...

I just purchased a one month old used X61 from somebody who apparently re-installed the Vista Business using clean install and erased the pre-desktop partition, and he didn't have the recovery disc with him.

So I downgraded to XP Pro SP2 using clean install. After installing the XP, I installed the .net framework 2, then installed the System Update, and downloaded and installed everything it offered. My 'tampered' X61 works well ever since, along with its worthy 'bloatware', which IMHO, they're not bloatware at all...

Now I am trying to find a way to restore my harddrive to factory setting without those recovery CDs and pre-desktop partition... Mission impossible, eh?