Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
rufus82
Accepted Solution

bricked x120e -- failed BIOS update

Hi,

I was trying to update the BIOS of my x120e (0596-2RU) from within Windows 7, it got stuck (no progress for more than half an hour), now the notebook is bricked (the screen won't turn on; there's no beeps, just the fan is turned on).

I believe I followed all the instructions (battery fully charged etc.), but the Customer Support here in Ireland says failed BIOS updates are not covered by warranty (contrary to what some people on these forums say).

What are my options now? :smileyhappy:

Thanks a lot!

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

Re: bricked x120e -- failed BIOS update

rufus82, welcome to the forum,

I would suggest that you contact support again and again request a fix under warranty, if again you receive no satisfaction you should then simply state that you are not satisfied and wish to register a complaint, the CSR will be able to do this for you.

Please ensure that you note the name of the CSR you speak to and also request a call number, the call number will possibly be of help at a later date.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
rufus82

Thanks Andy, I'll try not to give in as easily as the first time. I'll post the results here.

Either way, is there a definitive answer whether failed BIOS updates are covered by a (particular?) warranty?

For the record, my x120e has " a one year limited warranty and is entitled to IBM EZServ service".

Retired Employee
lak_sg

Hi rufus82,

I came across this thread that has answers for questions similar to the one you raised. Hope its of help.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Bios-Update-Fail-Under-Warranty-but-No-Support/...

As suggested by andyP, do contact support one more time.

regards

lak_sg

WW Social Media

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Paper Tape
rufus82

Calling again and insisting a failed official BIOS update is covered by warranty helped (thanks for that link to the official post on this, lak_sg).

Thanks!

Token Ring
orion9727

normally there not however if they cover you then kudos to lenovo that be a first.
i never heard of any company doing that and there a HUGE disclaimer on them.
however a service ticket might be different where surport is directing you to do a bios update.
pretty much in the world of pc, bios updates are a buyer beware.
let us know cause it be a huge bonus on buying a product that would do that.
Paper Tape
jvoisin

I have actually had the same thing happen to me last night.  Sparked up Lenovo System Update and it wanted to update a bunch of things.  I clicked okay and came back later to it doing the bios upgrade.. system was completely frozen.. I have warranty for a few months still so will be taking it to them probably monday.  they don't appear to socket the bios chip so they will likely have to replace the entire systemboard.. I am also going to get them to replace the WWAN antenna since it appears that it was installed without one of the connectors on the end... 

Lenovo seems to be the better of the vendors out there to deal with, I have never really had any major concerns with their product or support... but I imagine it depends on who you talk to when getting support... 

Paper Tape
rufus82

So I have the notebook back, fixed.

The first time I called Technical Support, I gave up too early when the operator said a failed BIOS update is not covered by warranty, and agreed to be given quotes for the repair. (At that moment I thought the prices would be reasonable, but it would actually cost me more than what I had paid for the machine.)

Calling them the second time, I insisted a failed BIOS upgrade was supposed to be covered by warranty. I didn't even have to mention the official statement lak_sg (thanks again!) linked to:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/W-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Bios-Update-Fail-Under-Warranty-but-No-Support/...

This time the operator did not say if my problem was covered by warranty or not, then said something about making an exception. The next day I received an email saying they managed to obtain an approval for my case and repair the machine under warranty -- I have no idea whether getting an approval is a standard thing or indeed an exception.

Strangely enough, when I was picking up the the fixed machine in the workshop, the document attached to it had a tick next to "BILLABLE". I haven't had to pay anything though (yet).

Happy days :smileyhappy:

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

Glad that everything worked out for you, and thanks for coming back and posting the outcome. :smileyhappy:

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

What's DOS?
galent

[ Edited ]