Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
kevinf

clean install question

i got a new hard drive and decided to do a clean install but because of the problem that i described i just decided to do a factory restore on the new hard drive and call it a day.

the problem was that after installing the latest video drivers and hotkey drivers, whenever i raise or lower the brightness, it would skip 2-3 increments. so for example, it would start from 2 and skip to 4 and then 7 and then 9. does anyone know why this problem happened? i don't have the clean install anymore but i am still curious as to what the problem could have been. after the clean install there were no problems in device manager and all drivers are the latest that i downloaded from the lenovo website. the laptop is an x201 with windows 7 home premium.

please help.

Serial Port
TheHarbinger667

Re: clean install question

[ Edited ]

I have an X201 (3680-g78), and using the latest drivers, I have the same problem. I noticed that if I uninstall the Intel drivers (using the standard vga drivers instead), the brightness control works fine.

Edit: Lenovo just released new Intel video drivers (as of 9/9). They seem to have slipstreamed a reg fixed into the setup process. It works for me :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
kevinf

[ Edited ]

so after using that driver you get the correct increments after clean install? man wish i can try it out but i already gave up on it. lol

edit: under the changelog for the newest drivers, it doesn't seem to list that problem as a "fix" but it still worked? do you experience any other problem with the new driver? also what's weird is that the original drivers from lenovo work if you are doing a factory restore so i don't know why it wouldn't work for clean install lol.

Serial Port
TheHarbinger667

Yes, I'm sure it worked, because one of the things it executes before the driver is a registry key file that has brightness in the filename. The version of the driver a few days ago broke the brightness control, but this driver definitely fixed it.

Blue Screen Again
kevinf

thanks. any idea on why the previous driver had problem with brightness control only on a clean install but worked fine if it was upgrading the existing display drivers from a factory install?