Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
daniel_p

mSATA + large non-SSD combination?

I finally migrated from my X61 to a nice X220 (tablet)

The model I got from eBay has 160GB SSD, a lot less capacity than the 500GB I had installed in my X61

However, I couldn't just swap over the 500GB drive, because the X220 only has a 7mm drive bay.  I'm now contemplating the following:

a) just buy a 500GB 7mm drive (e.g. Z7K500)

b) buy a 64GB or bigger mSATA and a 500GB 7mm drive.  Boot from mSATA, keep my low speed data (e.g. photos, music) on the regular drive

c) buy a 500GB SSD (at three times the cost of option (b))

About 100GB of storage is only needed for stuff that doesn't require SSD performance

Another 100GB (and maybe 200GB) is needed for virtual machines.

With option (b), I anticipate booting from the mSATA disk and running the VMs from the non-SSD disk.

Does anyone have any comments on these strategies, what works for you?

802.11n
RichardW

Re: mSATA + large non-SSD combination?

Many here are using the configuration of mSATA SSD for speed (booting and applications) in combination with a standard hard disk drive for large storage capacity. Judging from this forum, I would say that the vast majority of people who install an mSATA SSD on their X220 are doing exactly that.

Paper Tape
daniel_p

Another thing that comes to mind is that if I choose the two-drive solution, I want the restore partition on the slow drive, while the boot partitions (both Linux and Windows) should be on the mSATA

Does the factory install CD allow the partitions to be set up like that?

Or has anyone used any tool to move their Lenovo recovery partition to another drive after doing a factory install onto mSATA?  Will the ThinkVantage button still work, for example, if I do that?

Guru
x220forMe

[ Edited ]

daniel_p,
from my expirience 64 gb for the system drive (really the capacity is even less and depends of the manufacturer and model) is a little bit.

Let's look at this:
- clear factory system (windows 7 pro), updates from Lenovo and MS holds about 38 gb. Note, there are no user software yet!
- move page file on hdd, delete hibernation file, clear tmp files, some tweaks for moving swtools folder, some user's data folders on hdd etc. frees about 18-19 gb.

But Windows 7 growth very fast, in twice in the short period.
Another one argument - the SSD drive must be filled out in half for its healthy and speed.
So the size for the system drive must start from 80 gb. IMHO

You will not get CDs with OS. The system consists Lenovo_recovery partition. You can delete this partition after you'll make Factory_Recovery media. Also x220 contains another one partition (named System_DRV) with Resue&Recovery workspace. So you should think about this if your don't want to lose the blue botton (Rescue&Recovery) functionality.

In my case I've installed the new system on msata SSD from the Factory_Recovery media, deleted the Lenovo_Recovery partition on hdd, remaped the drives, done some tweaks. The Blue botton and R&R functionality work properly.

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Russia flag Русскоязычное Сообщество   English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

daniel_p wrote:

Another thing that comes to mind is that if I choose the two-drive solution, I want the restore partition on the slow drive, while the boot partitions (both Linux and Windows) should be on the mSATA

Does the factory install CD allow the partitions to be set up like that?

Or has anyone used any tool to move their Lenovo recovery partition to another drive after doing a factory install onto mSATA?  Will the ThinkVantage button still work, for example, if I do that?

mSATA SSD + HDD is what I've done, and it works great!

Saved factory recovery data to USB flash drive, and then deleted it from mSATA SSD.

Blue ThinkVantage button still works.

Documented how to move and access user data on HDD here.

New 500GB 7200RPM 7mm HDD is now available, seller I've ordered from here.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
Paper Tape
daniel_p

You chose the Z7K500 (7200rpm) and not the Z5K500?

I notice the 7.2k drive uses an exra 0.5W power/heat dissipation, and slightly more noisy

Do you notice the effects of those factors at all, particularly the noise?

802.11n
JNavas

daniel_p wrote:

I notice the 7.2k drive uses an exra 0.5W power/heat dissipation, and slightly more noisy

Haven't received the Z7K500 yet -- delivery is estimated in 10 days or so

-- but Z7K500 has the same specs as my current Z7K320,

which is essentially silent, so I don't expect noise or power to be an issue.

Hope that helps,
John
ThinkPad T420s [ i7-2640M CPU | 8GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Bay Battery | BT | Webcam | FR | Win7Pro64 ]
802.11n
JNavas

[ Edited ]

JNavas wrote:

daniel_p wrote:

Haven't received the Z7K500 yet -- delivery is estimated in 10 days or so

-- but Z7K500 has the same specs as my current Z7K320,

which is essentially silent, so I don't expect noise or power to be an issue.

Z7K500 installed and running in a ThinkPad T420s.

Running is slient, no whine, just some low clicking when the drive is seeking

if I lean down to the drive location, only audible at all in a quiet environment.

Speed is substantially faster than the fast Z7K320 it replaced.

I'm delighted. :smileyvery-happy:

Hope that helps,
John