Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
mongoosenamedt

reinstall XP, w/o CD

I have a rather old X31 2884 6YU thinkpad. It got a virus which shut down windows in regular mode but still boots in safe mode. To be totally free of the virus, I want to reinstall windows XP but don't have the original installation cd (it's been lost in 7-8 years of yearly moves). The sticker with the product key remains so the key is not the problem. I really dislike vista and 7 so I'd like to stick w/ XP.

It might be a stretch but is there actually a way to reinstall XP and drivers without a CD? (no CD drive)

Is there a way to get a new installation cd w/ XP AND the ibm drivers?

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

Re: reinstall XP, w/o CD

i think you're gonna be stuck having to find a cd drive.  did you know that rent it centers actually rent external cd drives for computers now.  they all don't have them but i'd make some phone calls.  if you don't have any luck with lenovo having reinstall discs, you could try ebay.  i've gotten reinstall discs for x30s, x40s, and x41s, xp with driver discs and i've been very happy with them.  30 bucks.  i'm sure you can find discs for your x31. 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 350
Solutions: 234

hey, one thought, did you try to do a system restore setting it back before you got the virus?  sometimes that works. 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
procom

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

Have you tried to run the recovery program? I think there is already a recovery partition with a build in IBM rescue and recovery program installed during the X31 era.

To invoke the program, press function key F11 after the ThinkPad logo when you boot up the ThinkPad and follow the steps in the recovery program. Good Luck

Cheers

Procom