Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
stoneman

x100e GPS problem

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I’m new owner of Lenvovo x100e. After 1 week of setting up new system and fixing some problems with power management and WWAN I have only one problem that I can't solve. My GPS feature is not working properly, ThinkVantage GPS status is always set to „Satellite Acquisition in Progress”. I don’t have any new idea how to fix it.

System description:

1)     Windows 7 x64 pro en

2)     All driver are installed, there is none Unknow device in Device Manager

3)     BIOS 1.20a I think, the newest one from 03.2010

4)     WWAN and WiFi works without problems

5)      WWAN is turned on, SIM card is installed

6)     I have checked GPS in several locations, inside my studio, outside in the city centre, in country side. In every location GPS is not working. I live in EU, other GPS tools works fine here.

7)     I’m using the newest ThinkVantage GPS (which is not so new )

8)     I have tested some other freeware GPS software without positive result

I’m not sure what “gps enabled” feature means, after some problems with setting it on my x100e I though that Lenovo isn’t offering full GPS functionality and x100e offer only GSM provider localizations functionality but „Satellite Acquisition in Progress” message confuse me. I want to believe that my x100e has full GPS adapter.

It could be some hardware problems but I don’t want to send my laptop to service without hope that they will solve my problem.

If somebody had positive experience with GPS feature on x100e pls inform me how you did it. If you had the some problem as I,send me information about it.

MM.

ADD:

My type is 3508-2LG

Paper Tape
zedd

Re: x100e GPS problem

I can confirm that it works in my X100e. It is not as sensible as my Garmin handheld, no fix indors or at the window, but outdoors I got a fix in one or two minutes.
Punch Card
Occam

I too thought about a problem, but then I found out that it works 100% of the times in this way:

1. start application

2. click on start (I'm not sure if is "start" the right translation 'cause my OS is in italian)

3. insert PIN to unlock SIM

4. click again on start, wait 10 sec

5. click on stop, wait 10 sec

6. click again on start and wait for the fixing. It should work.

I'm with an X301 with Win 7 32, Think Vantage GPS (v2.50).

Hope this hepls

Regards

600, R52, T61p, X301
Punch Card
Occam

I forgot to say that a colleague of mine has the same issue with a T500, and he alone found out exactly my same workaround.

Regards

600, R52, T61p, X301
Ctrl-Alt-Del
stoneman

i will test it but if it is solution it means that lenovo software sucks.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
stoneman

Hello,

I dont understand this workaround. In what application you insert PIN, in ThinkAccessConnect? I disabled PIN security in ThinkAccessConnect. In ThinkVantage GPS i dont see such option as PIN security.

Is it right procedure?

1) start ThinkVantage GPS

2) press start in ThinkVantage GPS

3) insert PIN. WHERE???? In what appication

4) press start. Where?? in ThinkVantage GPS stallite acqusition is stilll in progress. I can press only stop.

5) ...

Pls make more detailed description of this workaraound.

THX in advence

M

Punch Card
Occam

[ Edited ]

Hello

When I open TVGPS and I press the button "Avvia" (I don' have the english version, I guess this is = "start" but in this case you have to help yourself), I'm asked for the PIN of the SIM card.

If you disabled the PIN request in TVAC maybe this is why you don't get the PIN request.

I press again "Avvia" (= start) nothing happens.

I have to press "Arresta" (= "Stop"), then again "Avvia" (="start"), and then TVGPS starts searching the satellites for the fixing, which occurs in few minutes (depending on the location you're in).

I have TVGPS v2.5 under Win7 32bit on a X301.

Regards

Occam

600, R52, T61p, X301
Punch Card
Occam

[ Edited ]

Here are some pictures I hope can help:

link to picture

link to picture

link to picture

link to picture

Moderator note; picture(s) totalling >50K converted to link(s) Forum Rules

600, R52, T61p, X301
Ctrl-Alt-Del
stoneman

Thank you for answer.

I dont have such PIN request in TVGPS. I going to test some other version of TVGPS and i will let you all know about result.

Regards,

MM

Ctrl-Alt-Del
stoneman

Ok i have checked it and below you can find result. First I have to inform you that TVGPS could work in one of two mode: standalone or XTRA.

Quotation from TVGSP help:

Standalone
In this mode, the GPS receiver determines your location without any assistance. This is the default GPS mode.

XTRA
XTRA (eXTended Receiver Assistance) mode uses gpsOneXTRA Assistance Technology. The GPS receiver determines your location with assistance from a dedicated set of servers distributed worldwide. XTRA assistance data file and time information can be downloaded from the XTRA servers to provide assistance to the GPS receiver. Compared to Standalone mode, XTRA obtains satellite fix much faster and has better accuracy. To use XTRA, you need to configure XTRA GPS Options and connect to WWAN. XTRA feature can be used only when connected to CDMA 1xEV-DO network.

So above workaround is valid only for XTRA mode, you just restart satellite acquisition after initiate internet connection.

Unfortunate I’m using HSDPA GSM not CDMA connection, so XTRA mode is not available in my situation. I can use only standalone mode. I think that must of customers in Europe will use HSDPA connection not CDMA. For all this peoples GPS in x100e is useless in my opinion. Lenovo keeps on saying that position fixing should takes 2-3 minutes in standalone mode. It is no truth. I was waiting 15 min at countryside, during day with clear sky!!! Without result!!! IT just doesn’t work. Lenovo service answer just inform me that my configuration is ok and TVGPS should works (what a surprise, I have win7 x64 which is not officially supported). They just don’t have any experience with Gobi 2000 and GPS.

WWAN works great but GPS is only a marketing in my opinion, it can work only if you use CDMA and XTRA mode.. I hope that I’m wrong. Maybe it is some hardware error. Pls send me info if you have x100e and you use HSDP, stand alone mode and your TVGPS is working without problem. If it doesn’t work for you too, pls send message on this forum. Maybe Lenovo will do sth with TVGPS, current version is more than 1 year old, for sure older than Gobi 200 modem.

Regards.

MM