Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
cinnamonandgrav

x100e: anemic system hang

[ Edited ]

fully updated via system update 4, windows update and bios flashed to newest version.

this computer, the x100e, hangs night and day for me.when it does hang, i cant hear any hdd activity, cpu usage is practically non-existent, and it accepts no input. sometimes even ctrl + del doesnt work; i get an error saying security options and the like could not be displayed. the only solution is a hard shutdown, or just to wait it out, which last anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes!

just an example: booting the computer and entering windows just right now... upon first loading the desktop it hung for about 3 minutes. then with firefox open, on my way to this forum, i open system update 4 just to see if theres anything new... hangs for 2 minutes. frankly, this is pathetic.

now, i cant blame this on the 1GB of ddr2 installed in the system (in all honesty -small rant - bundling a single core cpu running win7 with only 1GB of ram.... and from the factory having 60+ background programs running....borders on irresponsible to me) because some software is janky, too.

power manager, with a custom power profile, randomly seems to revert a wireless option, from 'maximum performance' to 'maximum power saving'.

any clue as to why my system constantly hangs? i dont want to buy quality ram only to lessen the period of time between hangs.

The_Solutor
Topics: 16
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 15

Re: x100e: anemic system hang

I haven't seen a single lockup since the old wired lan driver was updated.

It moment runs rock solid in every OS it runs.

Have you updated the ati drivers ?

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-7_mobility_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-7_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

Serial Port
cinnamonandgrav

yes, my ati drivers are up to date.

just installed the new power manager update... my wireless settings havent fudged up yet under the new program... and today no system hang yet...

The_Solutor

[ Edited ]

yes, my ati drivers are up to date.

Keep in mind that the ati drivers from lenovo are more than one year old.

BTW we have the 10.8 drivers, since yesterday

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-8_mobility_vista_win7_32_dd_ccc.exe

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/10-8_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc.exe

Token Ring
Yangorang

My x100e was hanging all the time under Win7 as well even with everything updated.  I still think it was the craptastic RealTek 8192SE doing it but I'm honestly not sure...

In the end I simply went and installed Windows XP and now everything works perfectly...

Serial Port
cinnamonandgrav

[ Edited ]

im using catalyst 10.5 ... ill research if 10.8 isnt terrible, because 10.6 and 10.7 were.

and i dont want to install win xp :/

The_Solutor

[ Edited ]

I don't remember much about 10.6, but 10.7 was way better than the previous versions.

and i dont want to install win xp :/

I have win 7 installed just because connectify is not available on older windows, but xp still is generally a better os on x100 and elsewhere.

That said win 7 is simply a miracle if compared to vista.

Fanfold Paper
spicedham

I'm experiencing the same issues. my x100e is fully updated and it still freezes at random times.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Rleo25a

Hello folks, my X100e was freezing randomly and got sloppy too, even when trying to extract media it took almost a minute to answer. I was so disappointed that I was about to sell it with a 20% loss on the purchase price two months ago.... Yesterday  a friend of mine performed a win7 clean install without any  Lenovo´s applications and... Presto!  That is it!  my lappy runs wonderfully now without the crapware.

Try this my friends and you won´t regret it!.

Lenovo´s engineers please take note of this comment because it means that you aren´t doing well with your job...

Fanfold Paper
golfer393

I resently purchased a X100e that was essentially new, yet 8 months old.  When I first booted it up, I was experiencing several hanging issues and poor performance.  This "new" machine was very slow, the wireless had to be restarted if the notebook entered sleep mode.  I made the mistake and connected it wired to my network and it hung pretty much immediately.  I actually tested the X100e side by side with a two year old ASUS 1000H netbook loading internet pages and opening applications.  The old ASUS running XP Home blew it away. 

You've got to wonder how Lenovo could release a machine to market with this many issues?

Since the initial experience, I've changed power setting in Win 7, updated the video driver to the "non-approved" 10.10 driver direct from ATI, updated all other drivers to the newest drivers, and updated the bios to the newest bios.  This seems to have corrected most issues and "greatly" improved performance.  This new X100e now will at least outperform my old ASUS netbook.  I'm still not satisfied with the wireless card that this machine came with.  It drops connections regularly.  I've ordered an Intel 43Y6517 card to replace the stock card.  Hopefully this will get this machine to where I'll trust traveling with it.  Which was reason for the purchase.