Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
AmDD

x100e can i install bluetooth?

[ Edited ]

I just got a x100e the other day. I thought I ordered one with bluetooth but apparently not. Can I buy the module and install it myself? Where would I get it? I found this website: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-74258#15 but it shows 2 different  part numbers for bluetooth, which do I need?

Also rather than starting a new thread, I had the back cover off looking inside it, there is a smallish black square that slides to unlock and then opens up. it looks like you would put a card of somekind in there. what is this for?

EDIT: ERR.... I just realized that this is the tablet pc section, not the laptop one. Sorry, can a mod move this or should I just make a new thread in the correct area?

Moderator note; post moved

The_Solutor
Topics: 16
Kudos: 24
Solutions: 15

Re: x100e can i install bluetooth?

AmDD wrote:

I just got a x100e the other day. I thought I ordered one with bluetooth but apparently not. Can I buy the module and install it myself? Where would I get it? I found this website: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-74258#15 but it shows 2 different  part numbers for bluetooth, which do I need?

Also rather than starting a new thread, I had the back cover off looking inside it, there is a smallish black square that slides to unlock and then opens up. it looks like you would put a card of somekind in there. what is this for?

The two part number are simply two equivalent boards built by different oem.

The little door is simply the SIM slot.

Fanfold Paper
AmDD

So neither bluetooth board is any better/different than the other? Searching the part numbers in google gives me a few places to buy from but prices range from $30 to $400. Where is a good place to buy from?

Whats the SIM card for? A SIM card like some cell phones use? Would that mean that this laptop has the ability to connect to the mobile network (if i pay for the service)? I didnt think i bought a model capable of that

The_Solutor

AmDD wrote:

So neither bluetooth board is any better/different than the other? Searching the part numbers in google gives me a few places to buy from but prices range from $30 to $400. Where is a good place to buy from?

http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/searchresults.aspx?pn=60Y3199

The 400$ item is clearly a mistake

You can also check the lenovo site itself (on the bottom of the page you linked)

Whats the SIM card for? A SIM card like some cell phones use? Would that mean that this laptop has the ability to connect to the mobile network (if i pay for the service)?

Yes a cellular SIM card. You can use it if you have the cellular modem daughter board, (and the antennas inside the cover).

I didnt think i bought a model capable of that

We are almost the same, the cellular connection is my only connection to the nternet since 1998 :smileyvery-happy:

Fanfold Paper
AmDD

Alright, thanks! one last question, is it worth it? I bought a usb bluetooth dongle for my desktop awhile back for less than I can get one these other ones. Would it better better (longer range, higher speed, etc) than a usb dongle or would they both work the same?

The_Solutor

Te only real advantages are pratical: nothing protruding out of the notebook, the internal board can't be lost, as a dongle, and so on.

You can also have the widcomm/broad sw for free, rarely it is provided with the ( cheap) dongles.

BTW you can still use the plain Microsoft BT stack, if you want a lighter, even with the internal board.

goretsky
Topics: 19
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 139

Hello,

Have you verified your X100e does not have a Bluetooth daughter card installed?  Pressing Fn+F5 while at the Windows Desktop should allow you to toggle all wireless radios on and off, including the Bluetooth module, if if is installed.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee. • Dexter is a good dog • Dexter je dobrý pes
S230u (3347-4HU)X220 (4286-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)T61p (6459-CTO)T43p (2678-H7U)T42 (2378-R4U)T23 (2648-LU7)
de.gif  Deutsche Community es.gif  Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество