Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring
Accepted Solution

x120e Flickering

Screen flickering.. black lines going across the screen.

Anyone else having this issue or know how to solve it?

I tried making sure the cable conencting the LCD was connected properly. I updated to the newest video drivers. Nothign seems to fix it.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Re: x120e Flickering

Is it on an external monitor or internal monitor?
W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M at 1090/695/1390, 22GB RAM, 500GB HDD, FHD screen
TPT1: 1839-23U, stock ICS
X61T: L7500, 3GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

it's an x120e... internal lcd.

Guru
ColonelONeill

Does squeezing the bezel help?

Does it occur when booted to an Ubuntu LiveUSB? If so, then it's hardware and you'll need to get it fixed under warranty... except you've already dismantled it, which may cause them to refuse service.
Blue Screen Again
ldbobby

[ Edited ]

I get the same thing... black and white lines going across the screen randomly... as if a cable is loose. But it doesn't happen all the time. I can replicate it by doing the following:

Laptop NOT under heavy usage.

Run any software installation program causing Windows security to prompt with a "User Account Control" warning... "Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer?". Click Yes or No.

- This blanks out the screen momentarily and Windows will make a short sound.

- Lines will start to flicker randomly across the screen. (As long as you have something open and not just the desktop only,

i.e. a folder, Internet Explorer, etc.)

Video of reproduction: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F2H2vaROqM

This seems to only work for me after the laptop has been running for a few hours. Replication does not work after a fresh shutdown and startup.

Squeezing bezel does not reproduce the issue.

Any help is much appreciated!

Guru
ColonelONeill

Hmm. Try disabling PowerPlay.

I've seen similar, but a lot more serious, artifacts on my X100e if I use AMD GPU Clock tool to set a clock (which it doesn't do properly), close and reopen my lid (without going to sleep).
Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

Yes I agree. The black lines are not always there. They come and go. And I do get it once in awhile on a fresh start.

Now I'm also having another issue. Where my screen darkens and lightens randomly. It's like the contrast goes down and up, but it's not it's all the way up, and I have it on Maximum Performance. Happens when it's on battery mode and when plugged into an AC adapter.

Ughhhhh this x120e is soo annoying. I'm debating returning it, and just sticking with my T410.

Punch Card
KGr_ss

[ Edited ]

The brightness lightening and darkening is due to Catalyst Control Center's Vari-Bright being on.  You can disable it by starting your CCC, selecting PowerPlay under Power, and then unchecking the Enable Vari-Bright option. 

I remember losing a few hours trying to find the culprit.  Was looking at the wrong place, thinking it was Power Manager related.  Was very annoying when it thought a dark screen should be accompanied by low brightness and a white screen shoudl be accompanied by high brightness.  Now it's uniform brightness and I'm not losing my head.

Question about the flickering screen.  Does it happen if you connect the laptop to an external screen through VGA and/or HDMI?  Can anyone who is afflicted by this test it out when it starts happening again?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For a compilation of most X120e issues:
Compilation of Lenovo X120e issues and solutions
Blue Screen Again
ldbobby

Hrmm... I could consistently reproduce the issue with the method I mentioned above. But now... no luck. The next time this happens (twice this has come up so far), I'll test the external display and turning off PowerPlay. Thanks for the suggestions.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

I can't seem to get to Catalyst Control Center to even open.

I even tried removing it, and redownloading and installing it. I click on it, and nothing happens-- no splash screen, no error message, nothing.