Support in other languages: 
Retired Employee
JameZ

Re: x120e Flickering

BIOS error when flashing the new one 1.11 has been reported to engineering.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Blue Screen Again
lapoltba

I was finally able to flash the bios using the method described above. It would be nice, however, if in the future it worked directly from windows....

Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

I was able to flash mine from windows with no problems..

Paper Tape
xanisfered

Flashing the BIOS from windows worked for me as well...didn't solve the problem though.  I think my screen issues were RAM related since I got frequent BSODS as well. Going back to the factory installed 2 GB :smileysad:
Punch Card
ZacMatic

I have the Lenovo 2GB DIMM as well. I tried reseating it and I haven't seen the flashing lines since then. It's been a week now.

Retired Employee
JameZ

[ Edited ]

@All,

Just a summarized checklist to go through if you have screen flickering issues.

1. Flash BIOS to 1.11 -> For those who are unable to flash via Windows, please use the bootable ISO way to flash, or remove any 3rd party RAM.
  2. Ensure GPU driver is at its latest
  3. Remove non Lenovo preloaded RAM (Test it without the RAM)
  4. Reseat Lenovo RAM (Remove it and put it back)
  5. Ensure your Windows 7 is SP1 patched.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Blue Screen Again
lapoltba

[ Edited ]

I updated my bios the other day and have not been able to reproduce the problem again.  I have 8G of mushkin ram installed.   Is there any chance that in the future It will be possible to manually assign more ram to the video card?  I have yet to use more than 2Gb in windows....

BTW,  Thank you Jamie for your help with this problem and in a few other threads.  It is much appreciated.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@lapoltba,

You're welcome :smileyhappy:

I thought the AMD Fusion would automatically use the RAM if needed? Did you hit a "cap" of RAM used for the GPU?

//JameZ

Blue Screen Again
lapoltba

[ Edited ]

I honestly have no idea how much ram I'm using for video.  I know "X" amount is reserved at startup but normally more is better to a point.  I figured since I've 8G and 99% of the time 6G of that isn't being used actively for programs, It would be nice to be able to allow a bit more for video.  

I am fairly certain that It cannot be adjusted on the fly.  Windows has to boot up knowing what amount of memory is available for addressing, and if the hardware decides to take over more of the ram, it would have very bad consequences.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@lapoltba,

I found an interesting document from AMD regarding the Fusion and how it works however it does not state how much RAM is assigned for the graphic processing.

http://sites.amd.com/us/Documents/48423B_fusion_whitepaper_WEB.pdf

//JameZ