Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
MidnightSun

Re: x120e Flickering

Ever since I updated to BIOS 1.11, I've intermittently had the screen-flickering-lines issue (interestingly, haven't had it before then). I've been trying narrow down a predictable way to reproduce the issue, but so far I've sort of failed.

Usually, the issue comes up after the X120e is left idle for some time, with maximized applications open. The flickering seems to occur only in maximized applications, and stops once the window is restored. However, if it is maximized again, the flickering continues.

The flickering also seems to decrease with time--when it starts, there are initially many lines and near-continuous flickering. Then, the rate decreases until it seems to go away on its own accord.

A reboot fixes the issue.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

I can confirm, after going through 2 X120e laptops, updating the bios, not adding any additional RAM, etc... the issue still exists.

Punch Card
KGr_ss

I had a momentary screen flickering issue.

It was very specific though... Whenever I brought up the hotkey overlay (like brightness control or volume) the right hand side of the screen flickered while the overlay was up.  But this only happened on a few webpages... when I opened a new tab or went to a different tab, the issue disappeared.  Issue reappeared though when I switched the browser back to the page that exhibited the flickering.  Browser was IE9, and now I can't recreate the flickering.

Feels very random.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
For a compilation of most X120e issues:
Compilation of Lenovo X120e issues and solutions
802.11n
clicq

destring wrote:

I can confirm, after going through 2 X120e laptops, updating the bios, not adding any additional RAM, etc... the issue still exists.

Thanks for the update. This makes me think it's some driver/firmware issue and not hardware :smileyhappy:.

For those that have the flickering issue, could you try running something GPU intensive (like playing a flash video) to see if it makes the flickering stop when it's occurring?

Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

I agree it must be a driver/bios issue. I have yet to experience the issue with linux on the laptop running from a usb drive, or at the bios screen. But the issue occurs at what appears to be completely random within Windows (I use 7Pro w/ SP1 64bit). It can occur just sitting at my desktop, browing the web with Chromium, watching a video with vLC player. Please give us some sort of update to fix this ohh might Lenovo Engineering Dept. :smileyhappy:
Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Appreciate if those who are having this flickering issue could check on the checklist which I've posted in page 5. Then let me know if you have done all of them.

@destring,

You mentioned that you have 2x 120e without additional RAM, are those RAM Lenovo preloaded? Also have you tried reseating the RAM?

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

Yes

Fanfold Paper
MidnightSun

[ Edited ]

Thanks for checking in, James.

1.- Yes: as I mentioned, the issue only occurred after updating to 1.11, although that could possibly be coincidental.

2.- Yes:  I removed the 2GB stick of DDR3 1066MHz RAM I installed (Lenovo-branded; Samsung chips), but encountered the flickering issue again the day after.

3.- Yes: I reseated both sticks after the experiment in #2.

4.- Yes: I have all W7 updates including SP1, and have pretty much all the latest Lenovo drivers as well.

Retired Employee
JameZ

Appreciate the confirmation guys. Am checking with engineering on this again.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All.

Please check our support link http://www.lenovo.com/support on the X120e drivers. There are some new drivers which has been updated on the web however still not on TVSU yet.

Also do update video card driver to the following.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-77141

//JameZ