Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

Re: x120e Flickering

I think those drivers are mislabeled. It says it's the "initial release", when clearly it's not :smileyhappy:

Paper Tape
mabrowndog

[ Edited ]

I haven't been able to check in here for a few weeks. Let me see if I've got this all straight...

* I'm supposed to update the video card driver.

* I'm supposed to download an updated version of the BIOS.

* If I get any install errors on the BIOS, I'm supposed to install it like a CD-ROM.

* Since I don't have an internal CD drive, I'm now supposed to go buy one (or some other USB device) just to install this bug fix?

* Since I've already replaced the 2 GB RAM that came installed on this machine with 8 GB of mated RAM (at $80), I'm now supposed to ditch that and go back to the original 2 GB RAM?? And it has to be "seated properly"??

* After all that, if I'm reading some of the subsequent user comments correctly, I'll still have this flickering line issue under varying circumstances such as waking from sleep, yet the only way to subdue the issue will be to stop everything I'm working on and reboot.

* The re-booting will only be a temporary fix until the flickering happens again and again and again???

This is all a big joke, right? I mean, between this issue, the stuttering audio/video problem (due to Power Manager dll), and the still-present 1080p video stuttering issue, there just HAS to be a hidden camera somewhere recording our reactions to all of this for some comedy show, right?

I mean no disrespect to JameZ, as he's kept communication lines open here and is sympathetic to our plight. But Lenovo's engineers and executives have to be the biggest group of morons on the planet for allowing the x120e to go to market with all this crap so vividly obvious. I'm starting to wonder how much they paid off all the tech critics for their glowing reviews this winter.

I can't possibly express how pissed off I am right now.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@mabrowndog,

I understand your frustration regarding the issue faced on the X120e, however appreciate if you can let me explain on behalf of the engineers.

1. BIOS flash error - engineering tested on more than 10 units of X120e however the error did not occur. Their explanation is that it could be caused by 3rd party RAM or USB device connected to the laptop.

2. RAM compatibility - there have been issues where a RAM is not compatible with the system or faulty RAM which causes the machine to crash / not going into hibernate / sleep mode / random shutdown / random BSOD. - Therefore if you have a non Lenovo preload RAM, you could try removing / reseat them temporarily and see if the issue still occurs. There have been cases where the 3rd party RAM are faulty despite running stress test on it which did not report any problems initially.

3. X120e audio stutter / video flicker issue has been solved by updating to its latest BIOS, Lenovo Power Manager and Lenovo Power Management driver (new drivers are out).

4. X120e - Unable to adjust brightness after sleep mode with AC plug-in issue. That one is still under investigation by the engineering team.

As for the reviews wise I am unable to comment much as I have not tried the X120e personally, I will comment on this once I have it or tested it in a Lenovo store.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Is anyone still having this issue? Please note that you would need to upgrade to the latest BIOS available and upgrading the driver via link below.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-77141

If the issue still persist despite updating the BIOS and GPU, do try removing the non Lenovo RAM and use the Lenovo preload ones only instead.

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

802.11n
wildone81

I've gotten it randomly, and the only thing I've managed to maybe isolate is that it happens when the battery has discharged to less than half, and I've hibernated/slept multiple times since last shutdown, and have had the display shut off and on multiple times. Haven't had the time or will to swap out the 8GB I have for the default 2GB module, but since it happens so infrequently I haven't really concentrated on the reasons it even does what it does. Everything has been updated as far as I can take it, so if anything it feels like more of a hardware issue (I've also seen ghosting on the screen around the same time as the line flickering)
Fanfold Paper
damoseisun

I hope this issue with the screen flickering is not marked as solved by the engineers. I for one am still experienceing this problem. I've updated all Power and BIOS (1.12) drivers and anything else mentioned. I hope this issue can be resolved.

Also, the machine crashes when i put it into Sleep or Hybernate mode.

thx

Retired Employee
JameZ

@damoseisun,

Remove the 3rd party RAM and try to boot the laptop up using Lenovo Preload RAMs and see if issue persist.

//JameZ

Ctrl-Alt-Del
destring

It still happens with preloaded ram. I've gone through 3 replacements since I got mine. I believe Lenovo really dropped the ball when it came to engineering this machine. They must have been focused on the X1 or something. But thankfully after all the issues they've let me return mine way passed the 30 day mark. I went through 4 of them, none of which had any extra RAM put in, all of which always had the latest updates including the BIOS, and all had the flickering. This issue should not be marked as resolved, but then again it doesn't really matter to me anymore.
What's DOS?
DVgolf

I've had my x120e for about two weeks and I noticed the flickering for the first time recently.  The only thing I can think of that may have caused it was the screen dimming.  It was the only time I can recall letting the laptop dim for more than a few seconds.  I came back to the computer after a few minutes and the screen was intermittently flickering every few seconds.

It seems correlated to what someone was saying earlier about changing voltage.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@destring,

So all the 3 X120e has been returned to Lenovo yea? Appreciate if you could provide me with the case ID if you still have it so I can request customer relations or engineering to trace the laptop.

Also you mentioned you went through 4 of them, so you still have a X120e with you currently? Are you still having flickering screen issue on it?

//JameZ