Support in other languages: 
802.11n
wildone81

Re: x120e Flickering

@damoseisun

So the X120e is your only computer?  As is, it seems yours is the only one that consistently has this issue, and if there was a way to get a loaner from Lenovo or whomever, then perhaps we all could get to the bottom of this.

Fanfold Paper
damoseisun

@ wildone81

Yes, it is my only computer. The screen flickering is not as consistent as I first thought. It seems the constant flickering occurs more often when in battery mode or plugged in and charging. But I’ve also observed sporadic flicker lines when fully charged as well. Either way, this has been a relatively consistent issue I’ve experienced. Even though I'd like to help, I don’t think I’d be able to send in my machine,  I may be moving to another country soon so...

Retired Employee
JameZ

@wildone81 and damoseisun,

I am sorry to say that we have to look for volunteer for this issue as the engineering team weren't able to replicate the issue after the BIOS fix therefore we are unable to proceed to send it to development to investigate further.

They would need a X120e system which is causing this issue before they can fully diagnose the problem.

So if anyone who is willing to volunteer their X120e, I would greatly appreciate it as we can proceed to diagnose this issue further.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Paper Tape
psumme1

Just noticed something interesting.  I have line flickering on the top right of my screen right now, but when I minimized my browser, the flickering disappears.  Then, if I maximize my browser, it immediately comes back.  I can go back and forth and it goes from flickering, to no flickering.

Guru
HiVolt

I notice this only happens if I use the x120e for several hours, ie if its left on and not gone to sleep or hibernate, which is how I have it configured on AC power.

So after something "warms up" enough? I dunno...
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" IPS | Intel 520 Series 180GB SSD | 8GB RAM | Intel 6205 WiFi | BT | Win7 Pro 64 SP1 |
Retired Employee
JameZ

@psumme1,

If you kill the browser in task manager and re-open it, does the flickering still occur?

//JameZ

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
psumme1

Just ended chrome in task manager and then opened it back up.  Flickering is still occuring.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@psumme1,

I've dropped you a PM, please check your inbox.

//JameZ

Paper Tape
Hyper-X

[ Edited ]

I've also experienced this recently on my x120e and I'd like to share a few scenarios that I've tested across 3 identical x120e units, all exactly the same.

- The myth that the flickering lines has to do with aftermarket memory is proven false.  It occurs using the OEM memory installed/provided by Lenovo.  On that same note I also have Crucial OEM-specific modules on-hand and it also occurs with them also.

- It can be reproduced despite your OS being SP1 or not for Windows 7.  Updating to SP1 has no bearing on whether it resolves the issue.

- It can be reproduced even when PowerPlay (found in your Catalyst Control Center) is disabled.  PowerPlay being enabled does seem to make it occur more often but disabling it isn't a perfect solution.

- It can be reproduced even when you're using the latest Levono-provided drivers (8.813.4.0) and on BIOS 1.12.

--> Link to this driver is here.  It's not posted on their main site yet.  Text on the changes are here.

- It can be reproduced by using ATI/AMD's 850 drivers and CCC.

What I'm currently testing is a change in my power settings found in the Lenovo Power Manager.  It seems that I can reproduce the problem when a change in the power state occurs, like after the display turns off, computer switches from AC to BATT to AC again, etc.  On some of the settings, the display is set to automatically lower the refresh rate after a set duration.

Some monitors (LCD's) don't like having their refresh rates altered beyond 60Hz which is standard for most.  I'm not certain what's going on when it goes into 50Hz mode but I'm experienting to see if that has any bearing on the results. Anyhow my personal settings are as follows and so far no reproduction of the flickering as of 3 days.

IDLE TIMERS:

Lower Display Refresh Rate: NEVER  (for both Battery and AC)

Video Driver:  8.850.0.0 (found on AMD's website)

CCC:  11.5

RAM:   Crucial OEM 4GB x2 DDR3 (8GB total)

CPU:  E-350

802.11n
wildone81

Well, I've had those settings myself, and as much as they help, it has happened to me while it was charging with the power setting to "Power Optimized" after a month of no flicker. At this point I'm wondering if it might have to do with the particular panel in use or maybe the lcd driver. I suppose until a particularly bad unit is sent in for testing we can only guess.