Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
Svega

Re: x120e Flickering

[ Edited ]

Hi,

any news about this issue?

I have a Toshiba C660D (same E350 / HD 6310), which suffers from the same issue. It is very random, and I failed to reproduce it. Some users around the internet reported good results with the latest Catalyst (or "Amd Vision Engine Control Centre") drivers (latest at the time being v12.4). Can anyone confirm this?

Also, does anyone know how to reproduce this? I tried to set the core/mem speeds, but they seem to be locked (RivaTuner, MSI Overdrive, etc. couldn't change the values), thus I also couldn't fix the values (which may be a solution as pointed out by some people). Turning on/off Powerplay doesn't change much, according to GPU-Z the values still change between high and low, although the high/low values are different depending on Powerplay being on/off.

SCSI Port
nickb99

Hey Svega and all. Here is an update for my post on 4/11/12. Since installing that AMD update/replacement for Catalyst Control Centre as I detailed I have not experienced the flicker :smileyhappy:

Also I keep my Windows 7 (64 bit) fully up to date with Microsoft updates, so maybe this helped too. Nick

Fanfold Paper
Svega

Thanks Nick, much appreciated :smileyhappy:

What I'm worried about is what Aquablue25 posted. He said that turning off PowerPlay and installing the newest drivers didn't entirely solve the issue in his case. Since I'm unable to reproduce the issue, and also it's very random (sometimes it doesn't appear for a week or so), I can't be sure what to expect. All I can do is install the newest drivers and keep looking for the issue long-term.. :smileyfrustrated:

Paper Tape
im_sorry_dave

Since updating my drivers last December (via the option within the Catalyst Control Center--the update wasn't available via Lenovo System Update), I've never had the flickering problem recur.

Blue Screen Again
Aquablue25

@Svega: Hi, I got an E-Mail notification about your PM, lucky I saw it. :smileyhappy: Anyway, the new drivers I tried back then helped to reduce the flicker, but did not eliminate the issue, like a few others after me reported. I have not tried the absolute newest drivers yet (I only tried the newest drivers that were available from AMD at the time/date when I posted on page 13), so I can't tell you, if the (current) newest drivers fix the issue or not, but I will test it, once I find the time to do it. I wanted to return or send in the Netbook (for repair or exchange), but I just didn't find the time to open up this entire thing (I have the S205, with E350), in order to then take out my SSD and my Ram, because I need it every day. Having to do the exact same thing on return - it was just too time consuming and therefor unacceptable for me to do. I just lived with the issue. So far the hardware still lives on. I formatted the netbook to its default state a month ago (recovery DVD) - including the default drivers. The strange thing now is: The flicker hasn't been seen for the entire month - not a single time has it appeared. I really don't know what to make of it. Usually, after a fresh format to the default state (using the "older" pre-installed drivers), the flicker would be visible at some point - now it isn't. Strange, very strange.

Aqua
What's DOS?
rob9765

I'm having this same issue with the flickering lines.  My x120e is currently at Lenovo in Atlanta trying to reproduce the problem, so I can't try all these steps.  One thing I noticed is that it tends to happen less (or not at all?) when I put the original hard drive back in it.  I've been using an Intel 520 SSD.  Could that be a common theme here?  Is anybody having this issue with the stock drive?

Paper Tape
im_sorry_dave

I went through a couple of different drives (not because of the display issue)--didn't make any difference. I never got anywhere trying to get Lenovo to recognize or fix the problem.

As I think I mentioned toward the beginning of this thread, what DID fix the problem for me--permanently and without any side effects--was installing AMD's own driver package. It replaces the Lenovo driver when you install it. If you later decide to uninstall it, the Lenovo driver--and flickering problem--comes back.

You can find the AMD package here. (The description at the top of the page says "for Windows Vista 64-bit"--but it's also for Windows 7/8--you can verify that by looking at the name on the install file or viewing the release notes.)

I've installed multiple releases of the AMD package over time and never had any problems with it. But, as always, to be safe I'd recommend backing up your hard drive before doing the install.

What's DOS?
rob9765

@im_sorry_dave
Thanks for the follow up with your success. Glad to hear it is still a working solution. I plan on trying that as soon as Lenovo gives up and sends it back to me.