Support in other languages: 
Fanfold Paper
orangeglo
Accepted Solution

x120e power button kills power instantly

Pressing the power button on my x120e kills the power instantly and hard resets it. I'm fairly sure this is a hardware fault as I've uninstalled power manager completely. It doesn't always do this, maybe 1 out of 4 times, but the longer the computer is on the more likely I feel it will happen. Pressing the power button also kills the power instantly in the bios 100% of the time and when windows is booting. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I'm not sure whether to get this repaired or not. I need my laptop for school, and it's a relatively minor issue. I'm also thinking that they might not have x120e motherboards in stock since it was discontinued. Not sure what to do... Any suggestions?
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

Re: x120e power button kills power instantly

Hi orangeglo,

Windows 7?

The default setting for the power button is to shut the machine off.

Even though you uninstalled Power Manager, windows still has its power manager.  Go into Control Panel, Power Options, on the left click, "Choose what the power buttons do".  I have mine set to sleep.  But, in the bios and before Windows loads, pressing the power button will still turn the machine off.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Fanfold Paper
orangeglo

It's not a shutdown, it will kill the power instantly. I have the power button set to do nothing in order to test this and so I'm not tempted to use it at all to shutdown or hibernate etc.
topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

When I said shutdown, I meant that it shuts the power off, instantly.  Before Windows loads, that's what it does no matter what it's set for.

If you have the power button set in Windows to do nothing, it will still shut the power off, it will just take about 2 seconds of holding the button to do it.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Paper Tape
ritchie11

I've had this happen to me once when I held the power button down for too long, so just to be safe I used Fn + F4 when I want to put my laptop to sleep