Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
clxcoltz

Re: x200 Ultrabase problems with Standby and Hibernate

More update: Taking out the slim DVD drive only solves half the problem - the laptop will now sleep after undocked from the ultrabase but will still refuse to sleep (black screen, no response with HDD light dimly flashing every once in a while) if I boot it up outside the ultrabase, dock and then attempt to sleep it. It's so frustrating! Anyone from lenovo know the solution to this?

Punch Card
ynohtna

I'm using Vista for a year and I've been sleeping fine docked or undocked but it's best if I use the sleep button.  If I close the lid, it tends to get stuck.

I have a harddrive in my ultrabay.

My frustration is that I can't undock with the computer still on with the harddrive in the ultra bay!   I have to shut down to be cleared for undocking!

Punch Card
clxcoltz

Update: Easyserv people said they can't reproduce the problem with my machine and their dock, so they're sending in a new Ultrabase. We'll see how well that works once both get here.

ynohtna: Did you try ejecting the hard drive (physically) before undocking?

Punch Card
clxcoltz

Got a new Ultrabase from Lenovo today and BAM! Trouble's all gone, with or without DVD in the bay. I suspect that lomonosov's problem is similar to mine, so if you've had your machine make a trip to depot without the problem being solved, insist that they send a new Ultrabase.

Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

cixcoltz, could you confirm with us after 2 weeks that the new ultrabase definitely solved your problem? To be clear, here is what I've found to be the perfect way to reproduce the problem:

-START windows (from a complete shutdown state) to ensure there are no lingering issues from before...

-Dock the X200 to the Ultrabase, and wait for the "Storage Device Connected" popup from the taskbar...

-Put the computer to sleep, either through fn+F4 or closing the lid...

-After the computer has confirmed to be in sleep mode, wake it up...

-Once awake, UNdock the computer (properly, using the undock button on the side of the device).

After following those 5 steps (each and every time), I will begin to notice that Windows will no longer enter "Locked" mode (Win key + L, or Start>Shut Down Menu>Lock). Attempting to lock Windows will produce absolutely no response from the computer at all. This is full indication that we will be completely unable to enter into sleep mode if we were to try (the black screen, nonresponsive problems previously discussed in this thread will occur). The only option at this point, if sleep mode is ABSOLUTELY necessary for the time being, is to go to Start>Shutdown Menu>Switch Users. This will immediately switch Windows to a black screen with an indefinite hourglass/spinning circle cursor, which is essentially useless for us... but it is in this state that we are able to put the computer to sleep using fn+F4 or closing the lid.

Upon waking up the computer after performing this trick, I usually notice the Windows Logon Screen will never actually reach the point where it asks for a password / finger swipe... instead, I usually have to use fn+F4 or close the lid a SECOND time, wait until the computer goes BACK into sleep mode, and wake it up (for a second time)... After waking up for the second time, the proper logon credentials screen will show up and I can log back in...

Even after doing all of THAT stuff, from that point forward the only way to put the computer to sleep will be to use the same Switch Users trick, and attempting a proper Windows Shutdown will not work... the only proper way to fix the issue is to do a hard shutdown (holding down the power button) and booting Windows again...

Some things to note from this: While the computer is still docked after entering sleep mode and waking up again... I can properly Lock Windows or enter Sleep Mode as many times as I want anytime thereafter as long as the computer REMAINS docked... It is not until I UNdock it that the Lock / Sleep / Hibernate problems occur.

If you're still with me after reading all that, and you have a chance to test out those procedures using your new Ultrabase, PLEASE let me know!

Thanks,

-Zach

Paper Tape
lomonosov

Update:

I switched to Win7 which resolved all the issues completely.  This again points to faulty drivers in XP/VISTA rather than hardware (this is in reference to several of the replies that suggest replacing the ultrabase itself).

Good luck!

Lomo

Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

Forgot to mention, my system is running Windows 7 Professional x64 (from the factory).

Punch Card
clxcoltz

Your problem does not exactly match mine - since oddly I was able to lock my computer in every situation, just not sleep or logoff (or hibernate or shutdown). If I attempted any of those with the old ultrabase the computer will just enter black screen with no cursor at all, and fn/f4 doesn't get it anywhere.

But I have to add another update: While the new ultrabase remained good, I found that upon plugging in a Logitech VX Revolution mouse reproduced my previous problem - and doing everything without the mouse receiver (with external drive/other USB device plugged to the dock, even) seems to get the dock to work properly again. At this point I'm suspect that this symptom is caused by something USB related - at the dock's part for the old ultrabase (hence happens all the time), and at the mouse's part for the new ultrabase.

Before anyone points that out, I already installed/unistalled Setpoint, and tweaked the "allow this device to wake up computer" setting with no effect.

So you might not actually need a new ultrabase - try unplugging everything on the dock and see if the dock works by itself (in allowing computer to sleep). If that doesn't work, well, call Lenovo.

Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

Keep in mind, this problem we're encountering is not completely unknown to Microsoft, they've had a hotfix available for a while now and it has something to do with some faulty settings in the USB Suspend Mode feature of the OS:

There's a Windows 7 Update Module that shows up when you run the Lenovo Update Utility tool ... The issue is discussed in the following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974476

Unfortunately for us, if we ever try to apply this hotfix, our machines will get a "The update is not applicable to your computer" error, and we can't do anything about it... If this is the solution to our problems, we might want to figure out exactly why this hotfix won't install properly.

Punch Card
clxcoltz

Disabling USB selective suspend in power manager doesn't seem to solve the problem w/ mouse plugged in though - and it happens without idling time, so I doubt it's KB974476 anyway.