Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

Re: x200 Ultrabase problems with Standby and Hibernate

I too have tried disabling the feature and the problem still occurs; Nevertheless, it is still possible that the problem stems from USB Suspend. I'm in the process of discussing the issue with a Microsoft Support Tech... They elevated the issue to their "research team," whatever that means. Honestly I still think this hotfix could solve the problem - it's just a matter of getting it to install.

Punch Card
clxcoltz

Did a trick to force install KB974476, didn't help.

Method: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934307

When expanded, edit the .txt file from the package so that "windows 7 client" says "windows 7 professional" instead. The 974476 x64 package then installs, prompts a restart and have the usual "Configuring update" stuff.

But the problem when used with a Logitech mouse did not go away.

The official reply from Microsoft shall be interesting, keep us updated!

Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

Could you elaborate on how you got that update to install? I can't figure out how to run the update once I edit the expanded txt file.

Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

update: I figured out how to force install that update using the following procedure (for anyone else who needs help with it):

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974476

Follow the necessary procedures for downloading the hotfix directly from Microsoft. (You may also attain this hotfix by downloading it through the lenovo update utility and extracting the msu files to a specified directory on your machine)... If you'd prefer to attain the update from Microsoft through the above link, and you're running a 64-bit version of Windows, you may need to visit that link using Microsoft Internet Explorer (64-bit), so the Hotfix site will detect your 64-bit browser and assign you the 64-bit version of the hotfix.

In any case, once you have the MSU file (Windows6.1-KB974476-v2-x64.msu or Windows6.1-KB974476-v2-x86.msu) extracted to the directory of your choice (I believe the default is C:\DRIVERS\OSFIXES\WIN7), you can either use 7zip to extract the contents of the msu file (right clicking the msu file and hovering over the 7-zip submenu will give you those options - assuming you have 7zip installed), or you can use the following command in the command prompt:

expand -f:* "C:\DRIVERS\OSFIXES\WIN7\Windows6.1-KB974476-v2-x64.msu" "C:\DRIVERS\OSFIXES\WIN7\Extracted Files"

The second set of quotes is the output directory for my extracted files... you can set this to whatever you want, but I just threw them into an "Extracted Files" folder within the same directory as the msu file.

Once this is finished you'll have four files extracted... the previous post suggests you can edit the .txt file, inserting "Windows 7.0 Professional" in place of "Windows 7.0 Client," but I couldn't get that method to work... instead you can bypass that file completely and run the following commands in the command prompt to run the update using the extracted .cab file in the "Extracted Files" folder:

In command prompt:

start /w %systemroot%\system32\pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:"C:\DRIVERS\OSFIXES\WIN7\Extracted Files\Windows6.1-KB974476-v2-x64.cab"

Enter

(For me, a second command prompt window popped up - not sure why that happened, but I put in the same exact command as the one shown above and it worked perfectly).

I was then asked to confirm a system reboot, windows shut down, and the regular update progress showed up before and after restarting...

Since then I have run the same exact procedures that I listed before (dock the computer, put it to sleep, wake it up, undock it... check for problems locking windows / entering sleep mode). These procedures would produce the same problem EACH and every time I performed them... But now the problem seems to have been eliminated. Does it guarantee it will never happen again? I have no idea - only time will tell. But as far as i know presently the issue has been resolved.

cixcoltz, you've mentioned that these problems persist while your USB mouse is connected? I can tell you that my USB wireless VX Nano mouse has been a troublemaker for quite some time using various different laptops (not all of which were Lenovos). I've read through a few forums that suggest it's the mouse receiver (or the driver for it) that's causing your problems, and not the computer.

Punch Card
clxcoltz

zdaroff: Glad that the update worked for you! I just went ahead and used pkgmgr.exe right after editing the .txt (was curious about it), so I did not know whether it was redundant - apparently it was. Ultrabase users should all rush to install this. =)

I do have a Logitech VX Revolution, which I would guess have the same receiver problem as the VX Nano that you mentioned - thanks for confirming it's a Logitech problem. Was the problem ever resolved though? I love my VX and it'll be a shame to put it (and other excellent Logitech mice) away because of this.

Fanfold Paper
zdaroff

From the rather large amounts of forum topics online about this same exact problem, I'm thinking Logitech has still yet to resolve the problem... right now it seems that as long as I unplug the receiver prior to entering sleep mode, everything's fine... I'll try testing out the generic windows drivers without SetPoint... that may also fix the problem... of course you'll lose any extra functionality of that mouse...

Punch Card
clxcoltz

Update: I emailed Logitech the problem and (gasp!) they asked me to send back my VX Revolution, replacing it with a Marathon Mouse M705 w/ Unifying receiver. Now the laptop sleeps perfectly with the mouse plugged into dock, both on and off dock.

Logitech has one of the best customer service, I can't imagine anyone else replacing (over a year old) mice for compatibility reasons, and at no charge too! (I know it's under warranty, but still)

Ctrl-Alt-Del
tom028

There is a problem with sleep mode and USB already solved? I have windows 7 64biy and sleep in a laptop docking station does not work. A computer in sleep shows a black screen and shut up.