Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
fkn650

x200 thinkvantage bios update caused display, access connections issues

x200 laptop - type 7454

Windows XP Professional SP3

So I recently used the Thinkvantage Productivity tools to perform an "Update".  Unfortunately it resulted in a series of issues that I would have hoped that a good QA process would have caught.

So it found quite a bit of software it wanted to update.  Amongst many things was flashing the BIOS to the latest firmware.  I let it run through the automated process, and clicked accept to allow the BIOS update after checking that the x200 laptop was plugged in with a full battery.  It ran through the process and restarted resulting...

- display booting at VGA 640x480 resolution, 16 colors,  couldn't change from Display properties

- error message about ACWLicon.exe with bad entry point in a dll

I re-ran the Thinkvantage update, it found nothing to update.  Compounding this, was that Support.lenovo.com was offline in "maintenance" mode.

Anyway, the solution was fairly straightforward,  wait for support downloads site to be online again, and then:

- download and install the Video package for lcd/monitor adapter

- run CCcleaner to clean up registry

- download and install Thinkvantage Access Connections

Once you did that, it was all good again.  However, would have thought that Thinkvantage Update should have installed updates in correct order in first case, and in second case after everything was screwed up, reinstalled the Video and Access Connnections drivers.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: x200 thinkvantage bios update caused display, access connections issues

[ Edited ]

As the issue can be resolved by updating the display driver.

Kindly download the display driver from the mentioned below web link.

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/7xd158ww.exe

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!